Author Topic: Help to understand a RAF record  (Read 613 times)

Offline CharlotteCollins00

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to understand a RAF record
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 May 21 11:28 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you so much everyone! The conduct assessment is what confused me as when I have seen other records the boxes weren't anywhere near as full ;D So would he have received calling-up papers? I don't know where he was actually living at the time would it have been within the UK? Under the first picture it says that GVE incompatible with education claims - what does this mean? and the forms they refer to would these have been destroyed?
Thank you again everyone!!! 

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to understand a RAF record
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 May 21 19:06 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you so much everyone! The conduct assessment is what confused me as when I have seen other records the boxes weren't anywhere near as full ;D So would he have received calling-up papers? I don't know where he was actually living at the time would it have been within the UK? Under the first picture it says that GVE incompatible with education claims - what does this mean? and the forms they refer to would these have been destroyed?
Thank you again everyone!!!

I'm not entirely sure, but in the case of my OH.  He worked on a farm and also attended an Agricultural College.  H.M. Forces have a set standard of education, which is aligned to the education and examinations of the nation's state schools and also the nation's trade  apprenticeships (e.g. engineer, carpenter, nurse, etc.). 

I think this is probably the case =  :-  Hoping for promotion higher than the SAC grade he'd attained, my OH submitted the record of the eleven examinations he'd taken at the end of his years in the college.  His superior officer made enquiries and it was discovered that the colleges exams did not align with the nation's examinations at that time.  All the College's exam subjects were higher than the nation's "O" level but less than the nation's "A" level examinations and to progress my OH needed "A" levels.

Alternatively he had not finished an approved apprenticeship.  I knew a few people who didn't finish apprenticeships - sometimes for allergy health reasons.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke