Author Topic: Diary > Thursday, 27 May  (Read 1825 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday, 27 May
« on: Friday 28 May 21 01:34 BST (UK) »
Looks like I am first in today.  Not a lot to report except our heatwave ended today, only got up to 16 or so, air much dryer and very pleasant. Tomorrow it is not going above 9, and plenty of rain.  The hot weather killed off the daffodils, the flowers are wilting.  Looks like a week of cooler weather now.
Took the dog to the vet yesterday for his annual shots, etc.  They are recommending teeth cleaning, which means anaesthesia and if they find any bad teeth, extra charge to remove them. So, a big bill.
He was at the vet in the late afternoon, and by 7 or so was very subdued and listless, very unlike him. He would barely lift his head to lick out the yogurt* pot!  I was worried about him and did not sleep well but when I took him out at 6:30 this morning he was more lively.  Neither of us noticed a rabbit until we were 6 feet from it, then Darcy gave a lunge on the leash, and a woof.  I knew he was returning to normal.  Within a few hours he was fine.

Grocery pickup today.  Everything went smoothly. 
Had a nice chat with my daughters this afternoon, they suggested a visit or meetup on Father’s Day weekend, their brother will be visiting, hopefully regulations will allow travel.  Haven’t seen my son since Xmas 2019.  He texted today as he waited at the pharmacy after his Covid vaccine, he managed to get an earlier spot.
Still no word here when schools will reopen, normally there would only be four weeks left to the school year.  Lots of differing opinions!
*this is how we spell yogurt here, just in case you are wondering about my spelling skills 😁. We also say yo as in yo-yo, rather than yahgurt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday, 27 May
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 May 21 08:23 BST (UK) »
I will keep my fingers crossed for you Diana that you’re able to meet up with your family for Father’s Day. Your restrictions are more severe than ours currently.... although we’re hoping the Indian variant doesn’t escalate things!
Your weather sounds a bit like ours although, unusually, it’s a bank holiday W/end here and it looks like we’re going to be into the early 20C temps!
We always seem to either have windy weather when the trees come into blossom or frosts when magnolia trees are just about to flower it’s such a shame when plants make the effort to delight us and the weather just thwarts it!😢
Hope your little dig has recovered now from her vets visit.

Awoke to a bright sunny day, always gives one a lift so up with a feel good factor...
After breakfast we FaceTimed our son in Brisbane and had a long chat with him... gone midday by the time we said our goodbyes... do so miss him but feel blessed we can see him in real-time....
Washing out on the line and OH put all his plants out ready to go into the veg plots..
Phoned Sky as our internet keeps dropping out and they sorted it very quickly which meant I wasn’t on the phone for an age thankfully!
Once we had lunch I went outside swept up the patio... cleaned all the outside window sills...
Edged the back lawn, dug out all the weeds, removed lots of self seeded primula that were growing through the lavender... just love the smell and as I was digging away it was wafting under my nose as I brushed against the new shoots... sadly one side of the border will have to be replaced after its had its summer as it’s been in for many years and is getting very woody and some areas not flowering...
dug all up one side of the garden then went into the front garden and did the flower bed there too, chopped back a hebe that’s growing into a rose bush and a choisia that has spread far to much...
Sat outside with a cuppa felt quite satisfied with my afternoons work.
OH has now planted all the runner beans out and everything seems to be growing very quickly now with some sunshine... lawn mowed ....
had shower and hair wash then cooked dinner...
I’d bought a lamb loin, not cooked one before so had look for a recipe. Cooked some new pots and carrots then added to a pan with mushroom, garlic, red onion, chunks of courgette and some rosemary sautéed it all then pop into the oven... seasoned the lamb popped into hot pan sealed all sides, put into the oven for 6 minutes then removed to rest. Used the juices from that mix with red wine, reduce down add teaspoon black current jam and stock, comes out glossy and quite thick.cooked the last of our greens and sliced up lamb just pink and very tender... delicious will certainly do that again, so quick.
Watched A year at Kew and Carol Klien.... can’t wait to get a visit to Kew with the boys, they love it there especially the glass houses, the woodland area and the high up walkway...OH not keen on last bit!

Looking forward to a nice sunny bank hol... not that we’re going anywhere.... but sunshine will be a real tonic.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 May 21 08:53 BST (UK) »
Finger's crossed for your family get together Diana, still a few weeks off, but hopefully all will be well.  Haven't seen my family in Oz since March 2018, and grieving the planned visit last year doesn't even look possible this year, but hey ho.  As Caroline says, we are so lucky that video chats can happen.
Glad your little dog is perking up from his trip to the vet.
Your garden sounds wonderful Caroline, I think you should sell tickets to visitors.... and the lamb sounds delicious!
Yesterday I did a volunteer room guide session for the National Trust.  It was a beautiful sunny day here, but in there I was perished. Stone walls a couple of feet thick and no effective heating.  Visitors going through in flimsy summer clothes while I was wearing a huge winter weight jumper and body warmer all day.  I sat in the garden to eat my lunch, but barely had time to thaw out, then when I reached home it was too windy to sit on the balcony, so I went for a couple of short walks before and after eating while H was teaching.
After he went to bed I went out to watch the moon rise.  What a magical sight, silently appearing above Brixham in an orange glow.  I did take some photos, but my camera doesn't do it justice.
Hope everyone can have a pleasant day today.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 May 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear your dog is okay Diana, hope you can get together with your family as planned.
What a lot of gardening Caroline, I don't know how you find the energy to conjure up your culinary delights after all that.
Can almost hear you shivering MH, hope you've warmed up today.

My day:

A lovely sunny day from late morning. Didn't go for my morning walk as I was meeting J in the afternoon for a walk. Instead I emptied the large terracotta pot that's outside my front door, I think the tulips had their roots in Australia. Filled the pot with new compost and put the plants in.

Had a break for lunch then did a bit of gardening at the back and also sat in the sun. Went to meet J at three, was difficult to know what to wear as the wind was coming off the sea although it wasn't cold. Really enjoyed having a longer walk with my friend in the daytime.

Sat out with a cuppa when I got home then did some more gardening. Was really tired afterwards but pleased with my efforts. In the evening I watched last night's episode of Long Lost Family.
Quite an uneventful day but a pleasant one.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 May 21 12:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your best wishes about our possible family get together in three weeks’ time.  There is an issue about OH’s daughter over the same weekend, she lives locally, but he said go ahead and make our plans and we will see what happens.
Also, appreciate everyone’s comments about my dog.  He is fine! OH just made his weekly bacon and eggs breakfast so they are both in excellent spirits (I have to admit I get a little bacon too)!
MH, I have to ask, what is a body warmer?
Feels like 2 out there this morning, and cold rain.  Last week I washed my take-dog-out-in-yard winter coat, thinking that was it for the season, well, got it out again and put in on!  It is supposed to be dry cleaned only, but seems fine.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 May 21 21:02 BST (UK) »
Diana, "h" in "yog(h)urt" is optional according to my "Pocket Oxford English Dictionary".  :)
Made the mistake of reading a local newspaper late at night. Verdicts in 2 murder & unlawful killing cases. Other nasty stuff. Then a public notice informing me that I should take a Covid test before visiting an island. Our leader Nicola S. has already forbidden me to visit most of my family in England (they live in or near Covid hotspots).
There was a heavy shower in the morning although the sun was shining. Too cold to sit outside . At least I didn't need heating in the living room until late evening. Still wearing winter clothes although not the thickest cardigans and thermal vests since last week. (I only wear 1 of each at a time.)   
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 May 21 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone just abut squinted at your news  .
Op over.quite painless this time the worst part was the anaesthetic injection .
Thousands of drops again ,and had my schedule all worked out ,byr daug.
Vikhter phoned to see how it went etc so I am behind with the,m already!
Got an eye patch and must swab my eye with cool boiled water and wash the protective patch must leave it off in a day or two but must wear it for four nights .Ireally don ‘t see well so will read as much of your mail as I can .
No real news so kitchen tidies and off to bed ,was up at before five this morning .
Hope everyone is well , look after yourselves and hope to be fighyimg fit soon ?Viktoria.

Lll

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 May 21 00:42 BST (UK) »
Diana, "h" in "yog(h)urt" is optional according to my "Pocket Oxford English Dictionary".  :)
Made the mistake of reading a local newspaper late at night. Verdicts in 2 murder & unlawful killing cases. Other nasty stuff. Then a public notice informing me that I should take a Covid test before visiting an island. Our leader Nicola S. has already forbidden me to visit most of my family in England (they live in or near Covid hotspots).
There was a heavy shower in the morning although the sun was shining. Too cold to sit outside . At least I didn't need heating in the living room until late evening. Still wearing winter clothes although not the thickest cardigans and thermal vests since last week. (I only wear 1 of each at a time.)

Thanks for letting me know about the yogurt spellings, guess it varies from place to place.
Your weather doesn’t sound much better than ours, rained most of the day and didn’t get above 5.  We needed the rain, ground was getting hard already.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 May 21 10:05 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone, I hope you're soon able to visit your family, it's all such a worry.

Viktoria, glad to hear your op went well, hope you're feeling okay today. Perhaps it might help to expand the area you're reading on your iPad. Try not to overdo things, you deserve a rest after all that.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales