Author Topic: Previous marriage dissolved  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Previous marriage dissolved
« on: Friday 28 May 21 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, i have found a number of similar posts on here about dissolution and divorce being the same thing, but i'm wondering why 'condition' on a marriage certificate seems to say 'previous marriage dissolved' yet if actually divorced it will name the other party as in eg 'the divorced husband of [name], formerly [maiden name]', or another example 'formerly the wife of [name] from whom she obtained a divorce'. These are 2 of several certificates i have on my family, but not my current puzzle.

To me, this seems to suggest that dissolution and divorce are slightly different and i'm wondering if the man i'm helping research - where 'previous marriage dissolved' appears under the condition - wasn't legally married to his previous 'wife' - no marriage can be found, but there were children, registered with his surname and the mother's maiden name. This was during WW2; his first wife had been killed in a car accident only 2 months after the wedding. Not naming names as descendants are still alive, but just wondering about the situation, and is this why we can't find a marriage record.

Thanks
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Previous marriage dissolved
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 May 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
In some jurisdictions (such as some states in USA) there is a legal difference between dissolution & divorce, basically a dissolution is an amicable separation whereas a divorce involves the court make a decision instead of just witnessing the ending of the marriage.

Here in the UK the terms mean the same thing.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 May 21 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guy, i had seen that in the US, and it sounds pleasantly good, but i’m still puzzled by this terminology in England and Wales. The later family knew nothing about this ‘marriage’ and children, so there was no connection and it  seems rather strange.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 May 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
I can't imagine that anyone who was remarrying after a divorce would want their ex's details on their new marriage certificate.  :)

I have a new marriage in the UK that shows the bride as 'previous marriage dissolved', I also have the original marriage certificate and their divorce 'decree absolute'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 May 21 14:07 BST (UK) »
I've got one in my family - she re-married in 1872, having reverted to her birth surname, and is labelled "divorced woman".  Again I have her original marriage certificate and the divorce papers.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 May 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hadn’t thought of it like that Rosie (getting very ‘matter of fact’ about family history things that I wouldn’t have expected to find). I guess the puzzle is compounded by no apparent marriage to the mother of the children, and given that it was during the war it seemed likely they hadn’t married (both parties are pictured in uniform).

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 May 21 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB, guess it’s just different terminology in different areas, or up to the couple and the registrar.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 May 21 14:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm sure you are correct.  The ex-husband in the case I referred to re-married in 1873 as a Widower.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 May 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
My marriage certificate says "previous marriage dissolved" but I can assure you it was a proper legal divorce!!!!! (UK 1985) No mention of the first husband thankfully.
rayard.