Author Topic: Previous marriage dissolved  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Previous marriage dissolved
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 May 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone; back to the hunt for the marriage then 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 May 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
The wording to be used for the condition of a divorced person on marriage registers in England/Wales  was changed from " the wife of xxx from whom she obtained a divorce" or something similar,  to being just shown as "previous marriage dissolved".

I think the change was after the Marriage Act in 1949 - or somewhere around that time.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 May 21 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anthony, that makes sense, though the 2 i quoted with divorced names were from 1947 and 1952 (so maybe took a while to be adopted everywhere). The one i’m researching was from 1955 (though still can’t find the earlier marriage).

Happier with that explanation though, thanks.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 May 21 19:17 BST (UK) »
My parents married in 1958, Dad was divorced and certificate states “previous marriage dissolved”.

Just to add to the timeline.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 May 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
I have a ‘previous marriage dissolved’ from 1952.  I wondered how either party could have afforded a divorce.  It seems if both parties had been living apart and both consenting, it would have gone through ‘on the nod’ so to speak.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 May 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
Looking at Marriage Certificates in my possession:

Marriage 1927: "The divorced husband of  . . . . .".
Later marriages: "Previous marriage dissolved".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 May 21 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, all adds to the picture