Author Topic: The Balcarek Family  (Read 2118 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: The Balcarek Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 May 21 12:33 BST (UK) »
The family were not well to do and so it is possible that she dug that dress out from her grandmother's trunk - just for the photograph as her husband was not home often or for long periods.
Highly unlikely.
Even women with little means would want to be as fashionable as possible.
It was far more important to women at that time, more so than today.
A blouse & skirt would be the norm & well within the means of every woman.
In addition the very severe 1880's/90's hairstyle would have been replaced with
a softer style which doesn't cost anything.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 May 21 12:57 BST (UK) »
My try. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 May 21 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks McGrogeroger,

Up to your usual standard and well appreciated

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 May 21 02:00 BST (UK) »
jim1

I am not pushing the issue - just clutching at straws!  I really wish I could make sense of it

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 May 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Before you write your story you need to know this isn't 1915.
I'm sorry to say this was taken in the early 1890's.
The woman has a kick-up sleeve or possibly an early style
Gigot sleeve.
They were popular up to around 1898 never to be seen again.
In 1915 women dressed completely differently to this even in Poland.

Those were my thoughts too. if you google ladies fashion for 1915 you will see why Neville. It would have been good to see the back of the photo.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 May 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Yes it would but it has been pasted on card and put on display in a local museum so that isn't going to happen!  I will have to try to find more information.  Unfortunately the family know nothing on this occasion and all the people in the photo are long since dead.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 30 May 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
Carol,

Yes it would but it has been pasted on card and put on display in a local museum so that isn't going to happen!  I will have to try to find more information.  Unfortunately the family know nothing on this occasion and all the people in the photo are long since dead.

Ok Okay Neville, you are doing a sterling job for the Polish Servicemen who served during the war and to ensure that they are remembered. I understand your need to get this right for their Families. Do you have a date of birth or death for the Serviceman?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 May 21 23:03 BST (UK) »
Carol,

To put things in perspective, the family were very poor and she would not have any sort of fashion budget - clothes were bought only as necessary, not on a whim.  That was why I said she may have dipped into her grandmother's trunk for the photo.

The main characters are the soldier husband Pawel Balcarek I don't know his date of birth but he was killed fighting in France on 11th November 1915.  His wife Franciszka (possible maiden name Gawlik) again no date of birth but this photo shows her with 2 very young children.  The younger was Wilhelm Andrzej Jerzy Balcarek and Polish Air Force records show him to have been born on 4th February 1915.  So that and his father's death date were only about 9 months apart and he looks to be 6 or 7 months old in this photo.  I have no information on the other child.

From this I conclude that (regardless of fashion) the photo WAS taken in 1915 OR somebody has totally misidentified the photo and the baby is actually Pawel and the photo is from a generation earlier.

No living person can actually answer that question as the youngest person [nominally] in the photo would be 106 if alive to day and about 25 years older if it was misidentified by a generation.  The only hope I have is to try to identify the uniform.  Is it German, Prussian or Austro-Hungarian and that would be more likely to accurately date it.

I have no idea about fashion and I don't dispute the comments that have been made but I have to wonder whether a truly poor woman would wear something enormously out of fashion in order to be photographed with her husband and children knowing that he could be killed at any time.  Being photographed at all would be more than she could afford under normal circumstances.

But my main criteria is to get it right - even if I find that I am totally wrong in my thinking.  Accuracy is more important than my personal vanity'

Neville

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 30 May 21 23:13 BST (UK) »
It might be a good idea to put this on the Armed Forces Board for identification, you will need to change the file name. I suspect that your soldier Is one of the children in the photo.
Carol