Author Topic: Family Tree Maker 16  (Read 784 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Family Tree Maker 16
« on: Friday 28 May 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Hope I'm in the right forum.

I have been using Family Tree Maker for about 20 years, currently using version 16. Never had any issues until now.

As I have been working from home using my laptop, connected to my work's server, as a precaution hubby put my FTM onto a hard drive for me to access. I also backed up onto the Personal Cloud (Seagate). Whilst using it I have experienced sessions where the software crashed. Performance wasn't great no doubt due to being connected to an external hard drive.

Lately I have found some of my files to be corrupted. I try to open a descendant tree and the attached message appears. Not with all files just some. I have tried deleting the offending ancestors but it hasn't solved the problem. Unfortunately, the backup version is the same. I have tried exporting a gedcom into a new file but the corruption goes with it so I am unable to create the gedcom. I have also come across a wrong connection where the parent is a completely different person and despite trying to delete the unrelated individual they seem to remain. I've tried several workarounds without success. Thinking my tree was somehow full I am currently working on splitting my tree which is actually a big job with my 9000+ people. I suspect the problem isn't the size of the tree. As a last resort, before migrating to another program, I am considering using on old backup and filling in the gaps, some with safe exported files where I will have to record the connections so I don't forget who I need to reconnect.

Any thoughts, advice or similar experiences, please.

Thank you.

Amanda
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker 16
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 May 21 19:11 BST (UK) »
If you can get into the file you might trying compacting it [Tools>Compact File].  At completion you will get a message that says something like "X% compacted" (or something like that).  Compact again until you get the message to say "0% compacted".  Your file should be clean as possible.

:)

Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 May 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
If you can get into the file you might trying compacting it [Tools>Compact File].  At completion you will get a message that says something like "X% compacted" (or something like that).  Compact again until you get the message to say "0% compacted".  Your file should be clean as possible.

:)

Hi

Thank you, UK4753

No success with compacting either.   :(
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline harbouruk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 June 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi I spent all day yesterday doing my family tree. It was saved but now I cannot find it. can you please help I can't find where to begin another either so am stuck.
Harbouruk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
Family Tree Maker files normally have a file type of .FTM, so open File Explorer in Windows, click in "Search Quick Access" (on the right, near the top) and enter "*.ftm" (omit the quotes!) and press Enter.
A list of Family Tree Maker files should appear.

If it doesn't show in the places Windows normally looks, Click on "This PC" in the left-hand column, and repeat the search using the same box, now labelled "Search this PC". Obviously it will take longer.

Most applications also keep track of recent files, so open whatever application you use, and click on the "File" menu at its top left. You usually see up to half a dozen files mentioned - the FH program I use keeps 9.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.