Author Topic: Lamberton Toll Registers of Henry Collins 1833-1849  (Read 957 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Lamberton Toll Registers of Henry Collins 1833-1849
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 July 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
Boo and JenB

Both sites (NA and Woodhorn) cannot produce ANY films for Lamberton Toll marriages.

I searched for :
Cross Border marriages
Irregular Border marriages
Lamberton Toll
Coldstream marriages  (just in case they were bundled together)
Non-Conformist marriages

with no results.

I can only think that the film has not been catalogued, I know Woodhorn has a huge backlog. I think they've been working on that during lockdown so maybe the catalogue will get bigger :-)

I know what they have on the shelves but was unaware of any film for Lamberton Toll. What I will chase up are the 74 marriage certificates from various "marriage houses" collected and transcribed by Linda Bankier the Berwick archivist.

Vee in NBL
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 July 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
:-) yes that is the conclusion we (and the archivist I had contact with) came to, which is why I posted the film number so that should anyone else want to order the images they will be able to do so.

Not sure if anything has yet been done about adding this film to the Woodhorn Catalogue but limited re-opening and the continued short staffing because of Covid means they are stretched at the moment,

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 July 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
I can only think that the film has not been catalogued, I know Woodhorn has a huge backlog. I think they've been working on that during lockdown so maybe the catalogue will get bigger :-)

The link I posted in reply  #1 , in which it was stated that it was available on microfilm at Northumberland Archives, was dated 2014, so the backlog must indeed be huge.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 July 21 18:45 BST (UK) »

The link I posted in reply  #1 , in which it was stated that it was available on microfilm at Northumberland Archives, was dated 2014, so the backlog must indeed be huge.

I'll see your 2014 and raise you a 1995 :-)

The NDFHS Booklet of transcriptions of these registers has a publication date of 1995 and towards the end of the Preface where they are thanking the GROS, SRO for permisson to include an illustration in the booklet.

It also thanks "the Northumberland Record Office (which holds a microfilm copy of the registers) for their assistance"

Boo

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 July 21 14:20 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

When the Woodhorn Archives fully reopens I will be looking at Film M650!

The date range is narrow considering all the previous marriages that must have been "performed" at Lamberton Toll but these are just the Henry Collins ones.

Vee in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 July 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
Yes they are just the Henry Collins marriages for the stated time frame - I would have mentioned it if I could find evidence there were more available.

If you follow through from the links to the NRS that JenB posted (2nd post in this thread) and search the NRS catalogue with the ref no they give for these you'll see that the NRS purchased 'photocopies' of the original registers for this time frame. I believe that the registers are in private hands so the NRS only have these photocopies in 1983.

I spent a LOT of time (weeks) chasing round trying to locate these and am very grateful for the patience and help from the archivist I dealt with. Eventually between us we got to the bottom of it.

NB  If you do at some stage look at this film, these were very big 'ledger' type books. Because of the physical size, the copies were done of left and right sides separately, so if you do look at the film, the parties names and the location are on one image and the witness details on the next - as far as I am aware, the image was stitched together when it was delivered and checks out with the transcript in the NDFHS booklet so for all I know they may have been copied/ filmed out of sequence so witnesses 'may' be the page before :-)

Lamberton Toll and Mordington Toll are both mentioned on the page that contains the couple I was interested in but obviously I have no idea about other locations as this is the only page I have seen.

Boo