Author Topic: 'What happened to Alphonse's First Wife?".  (Read 998 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'What happened to Alphonse's First Wife?".
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 June 21 02:01 BST (UK) »
It doesn't have to be left unsolved. The answer will be in the French records, just maybe not online.
You need a copy of his second marriage from France, as I said earlier in the thread. These records are not currently online as far as I can tell but you can try to get a copy from the archives.

The second marriage should say if he was divorced, or widowed, and it may even reference the date and location of death for his first wife.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 June 21 08:04 BST (UK) »
I agree with jorose, and we encourage you to write to the archives for a copy of the document(s).
Familysearch has letter templates in French if you’re not fluent.  Yes a fee may be payable, but that is part of the process.
I’ve found that going that extra mile (or should that be kilometer!) makes obtaining a result much more satisfying and unique.

Offline tornado

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 June 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies and support here . This is good and i am forwarding this onto my Cousin for him to follow up as i know he wants to persevere with this brick wall. We will see and if i get any luck i will let you all know. Best wishes.