Author Topic: Barry James Smith 1946-2006  (Read 739 times)

Offline Jake5dad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barry James Smith 1946-2006
« on: Saturday 29 May 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace details of the death of my first cousin Barry James Smith 1946-2006.  It is reported that he died suddenly in Queensland on the 15th. March 2006 and was cremated. Any information would be much appreciated.
I am aware of another person with the same name who died in Victoria in I think 2007 but although his birth place and dates are similar to that of my cousin, this person was married with a family in Australia whilst my cousin was unmarried and still officially domiciled in England. I am aware this similarity has caused confusion in the past.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Barry James Smith 1946-2006
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 June 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
Do you have any idea where he died in Queensland.. was it Brisbane or another city. Am thinking there are up to date cemetery records for most Qld cemeteries and also contacting funeral directors might be an option. Happy to help if you have more info.
shume... australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Jake5dad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 June 21 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response.  Regret no further information available.
Only managed to find actual date of death by downloading Probate from UK High Court.
Thanks again.
Best
M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 June 21 02:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response.  Regret no further information available.
Only managed to find actual date of death by downloading Probate from UK High Court.
Thanks again.
Best
M

Hu,

Re that Probate file ....  is there any mention that had it been forwarded to the UK High Court from the Queensland Courts or was to be sealed and forwarded to Queensland for any action on property in his name in Queensland? 

The Queensland death certificate is on restricted access, so members of the general public cannot obtain it until the time limitations have passed, so if you are seeking cause of death,  you may need to check further .... 

Question ... from that Probate file.... what document did the UK High Court rely on to prove he was deceased?

ADD  in NSW it is usual to rely on the NSW  death certificate when applyng for an estate to be probated.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jake5dad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 June 21 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for response.
Regret High Court Probate Cetificate purely quotes a date of death - no further details are added.
Best
M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 June 21 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for response.
Regret High Court Probate Cetificate purely quotes a date of death - no further details are added.
Best
M

Agghhh....something is not making good sense to me ....  so are you saying that:
 :)  you do not have the actual documents for the grant of probate ?   
 :) you do not have the name and/or contact details of the person/s who the court appointed to administer the deceased's estate .... if you do have that info, have you considered following it up.   
 :) the Probate certificate gives date of death, but does it actually give any location....
 :) what document gives you Queensland .... or if Someone is surmising ..... then perhaps  it may not actually be Queensland or may not be anywhere in Australia?
 :) Queensland State Library has online presence and an excellent Ask a Librarian service.... have you sought a possible newspaper lookup for death or funeral announcements as you have full name and Dates of birth and death

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jake5dad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 June 21 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for your response.
The High Court Grant of Probate merely provides the following:
1). Name of deceased
2). UK address of deceased - in this case that of his mother, who has also now passed.
3). Date of death and where domiciled - in this case England & Wales
4). Names of Executors - both solicitors assigned by the Will - I have not yet tried to contact them!
5). Date of granting of Probate
6). Value of the estate
Thanks again. Best M

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 June 21 08:15 BST (UK) »
Seems to me that contacting the solicitor/s may give you a result as surely they would have further details in order to have obtained the probate. Perhaps............. 
Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk