Author Topic: Electoral rolls for Blackpool prior to and up to 1965?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Electoral rolls for Blackpool prior to and up to 1965?
« on: Saturday 29 May 21 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.

I wonder if anyone can help please? I am helping a friend research his parents but I'm struggling to find more up-to-date information on Ancestry, although it's probably me but anyway.

His parents were Edward Poyser born in March 1920 and Frances May Whipp born in December 1942. We know that in 1965 they were living at 77 Park Road, Blackpool. We don't know how they met, which is what we're trying to discover. Were they already together or did they come to Blackpool separately? We do know that Edward was living and/or working in Kingston-upon-Thames prior to Blackpool and my friend has the impression that they were together then but we simply don't know where or how they met.

If anyone could kindly check the electoral registers for anything in Blackpool (or anywhere come to that) prior to but no later than 1965, that would be brilliant, thank you.

Oh just one last thing to further complicate the issue perhaps ... his maternal grandmother, Frances May Whipp's mother, was also called Francis May Whipp but she was born in 1910 I believe. It's her daughter we're most interested in.

Thank you SO much, in anticipation. Nick
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral rolls for Blackpool prior to and up to 1965?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 May 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
its not on ancestry. the dates are there to see clearly.

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-record-office/ is where you need to go
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 May 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pauline. That's what I suspected, hence the reason I asked if someone could check the electoral rolls in Blackpool, although I'll have a look at the link you kindly provided too.

Thank you, Nick
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 May 21 15:54 BST (UK) »
Electoral registers are compiled by address so unless they have been indexed online you would need addresses for someone to check for you.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello rosie. Many thanks for your reply. At the moment, 77 Park Road Blackpool in 1965 is the only address I have at the moment. Is it not possible to find out when they arrived at that address and/or how long they lived there for from the E-rolls and/or maybe work back from there?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:11 BST (UK) »
There is mention of an Edward Poyser age 31 living Oddfellow Street, Manchester Blackpool in an article in
Manchester Evening News 19 May 1951.  It says he was a chef and was going to give that up and take up sheep farming in Alice Springs.  He was going to leave in October and walk to Bombay then carry on his journey by sea.  Full article available to view on BNA website.

Sorry I do not know who holds the old electoral registers for Manchester though I believe there are copies at the British Library in London.  Some libraries will check addresses for you.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
There is mention of an Edward Poyser age 31 living Oddfellow Street, Manchester in an article in
Manchester Evening News 19 May 1951.  It says he was a chef and was going to give that up and take up sheep farming in Alice Springs.  He was going to leave in October and walk to Bombay then carry on his journey by sea.  Full article available to view on BNA website.

Sorry I do not know who holds the old electoral registers for Manchester though I believe there are copies at the British Library in London.  Some libraries will check addresses for you.

Thanks a lot rosie. I appreciate that. I'm not sure it's the Edward Poyser we're looking for but I'd love to see that article and maybe download a copy. I do have a BNA subscription so could you let me have the URL/link please? Thank you.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:28 BST (UK) »
Nick, I think it's purely a typo but Frances was born 24th December 1932 not 1942. She appears on 1939 war register aged 6 in Staffordshire.

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 May 21 16:32 BST (UK) »
Only 3 gro registered Edward Poyser's between 1916-23. Dont rule out the 31 year old in 1951 newspaper article as he was born 1920?

John