Author Topic: Electoral rolls for Blackpool prior to and up to 1965?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral rolls for Blackpool prior to and up to 1965?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of a Blackpool Trades and Resident Directory for 1950/1951. There are two Oddfeow Streets, one named Oddfellow Street, and the other Oddfellow Street Back.

For that year, Edward Poyser (described in the Newspaper Article) is not listed as a  Blackpool Householder, which points to Him Lodging at one of the Oddfellow Street addresses.

One Household might have a speculative connection, and that is a W. Cavanagh, residing at No. 5 Oddfellow Street Back, Occupation being  Chef.

There is no connection of Edward Poyser, to 77 Park Road Blackpool, in 1950/51.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:38 BST (UK) »
At the moment, 77 Park Road Blackpool in 1965 is the only address I have at the moment.

Taxis
Phone books of the time
Shergold G.W.G, Taxi, 77 Park rd .....Blackpool

Graham William G Shergold
died March 1999, Blackpool
d-o-b 23 July 1922

Oh wow you guys are amazing. I don't know how you do it. :)

Seriously, thank you John. I'll pass it on.
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 29 May 21 17:42 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of a Blackpool Trades and Resident Directory for 1950/1951. There are two Oddfeow Streets, one named Oddfellow Street, and the other Oddfellow Street Back.

For that year, Edward Poyser (described in the Newspaper Article) is not listed as a  Blackpool Householder, which points to Him Lodging at one of the Oddfellow Street addresses.

One Household might have a speculative connection, and that is a W. Cavanagh, residing at No. 5 Oddfellow Street Back, Occupation being  Chef.

There is no connection of Edward Poyser, to 77 Park Road Blackpool, in 1950/51.

Fascinating! Thank you so much for that feedback Sandblown. As I think I said earlier, the plot thickens. Again, I'll pass the information on. Cheers.
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 May 21 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again everyone. Please may I just remind everyone that all we know, excluding the address for the moment given in the newspaper article, is that my friend's parents, Edward Poyser and Frances May Whipp (sorry I keep wrongly referring to her as Wildgoose for some reason), were living together at 77 Park Road Blackpool in 1965. We don't know what happened to them prior to that, hence my original enquiry. So the fact that Edward wasn't living there in 1951 just shows the newspaper article is likely to right about his address, although a shame they didn't give the number. I tried another search at the British Newspaper archive in case I could find another later article but was unable to do so.

Does anyone by any chance have any later phone books or Kelly's etc later than 1951 but no later than 1965? I know it's a big ask but any other information anyone might have would be extremely helpful and useful I'm sure.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 May 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
Nick, whilst this is not what you are after you know that Frances May born 1932 was in a council run school in 1939. Did you know that she had 6 siblings. One was born prior to Frances May Whipps marriage in 1933.

In answer to your earlier question MQ, JQ, SQ & DQ are the quarters the gro use for recording births marriages and deaths ie MQ = January, February March  etc.

John

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 May 21 18:44 BST (UK) »
Nick, whilst this is not what you are after you know that Frances May born 1932 was in a council run school in 1939. Did you know that she had 6 siblings. One was born prior to Frances May Whipps marriage in 1933.

In answer to your earlier question MQ, JQ, SQ & DQ are the quarters the gro use for recording births marriages and deaths ie MQ = January, February March  etc.

John

Hi John. Yes, thank you, we did know about the 1939 although we don't yet know why she was there or how long she was there for. We also know at some point she had a job at the Penkhill School for deaf/blind children yet information about that evades us too - and yes I've spoken to someone there but unfortunately it seems a lot of the school's archives were burned or handed over to Staffordshire somewhere but which ones ... you get the picture. ARGH! lol.

As for siblings, I currently have 3 on FTM. It's possible my friend knows about the other 3 siblings but until he authorises me to put them on FTM, I can't really refer to them but I can't wait to find out which one was born out of wedlock. :)

As for those GRO initials - oh yes of course, silly me. I never thought of that, being so used to Q1, Q2 etc. :)

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 29 May 21 18:55 BST (UK) »

Taxis
Phone books of the time
Shergold G.W.G, Taxi, 77 Park rd .....Blackpool

G.W.G Shergold (Taxi) is listed in the Historical BT Directories, at 77 Park Road, Blackpool, from 1959 to 1982.

ADD: Apologies Nick, didn't mean to include You in the quote.

Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 May 21 01:47 BST (UK) »
No problem at all Sandblown. I still found it interesting as it shows that Edward and Frances May were not yet living at that address in 1965 or maybe they were sharing the house or letting Shergold use their place for his business address? We simply don't know yet but my friend is the son of these two and is adamant that's where his parents were living in 1965 so it all adds to the mystery and the intrigue. :) For example you told me that Shergold's Taxi was listed at 77 Park Road from 1959 to 1982 so that's interesting and useful to know.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 May 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
Really hope it's the Wildgoose son--what a wonderful surnmae. If so a probable marriage of parents is Richard A Poyser & Ellen Wildgoose JQ 1915 Aston

John

Hi John. Many thanks for those. I really appreciate it and will pass those on to my friend. Certainly the middle one is 'our' Edward and the one mentioned in the newspaper article Rosie kindly pointed out to me. Not sure yet about the other two, although they appear at first glance to be one and the same but you're absolutely right about Edward's parents - Richard Alfred Poyser and Ellen Wildgoose. We know about them more than his parents!  ;D

[/quote]

I see that you have both Poyser & Wildgoose in your surname interests on your profile so presumably your friend is related
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk