Author Topic: Lost relatives  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Rob59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost relatives
« on: Sunday 30 May 21 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, this is a long shot. I have been trying to trace the details of some family that were presumed to have been born in Ireland but ended in Lanarck. I do not have much information except some names and approx dates.
My Great Grandfather, Robert Francis Talbot, was supposedly born in Tipperary in circa 1842 to William Henry Talbot and Hannah Mary Watts. He also had a sister Jean and possibly a brother Samuel. According to his memoirs, in 1872 he left the employ of the Navy, HMS Clio, and made his way up to Lanarck to see his family one last time, before moving to Australia. I believe his mother died in about 1846, possible in Ireland, and his father in about 1858 place unknown. I have no idea if his memoirs are correct and also who Jean may have married.
Any help would be great

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost relatives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 21 01:29 BST (UK) »

Apart from the unconfirmed information you are using -

What is the earliest evidence you have of your great grandfather   eg. name on a passenger list, name on a marriage certificate, father on a child's birth certificate etc.

What certificates do you have for BDM events in the life of Robert Francis TALBOT in Australia?

What state of Australia?

Have you seen the written history that he made of his life?

Offline Rob59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 21 02:29 BST (UK) »

Apart from the unconfirmed information you are using -

What is the earliest evidence you have of your great grandfather   eg. name on a passenger list, name on a marriage certificate, father on a child's birth certificate etc.

What certificates do you have for BDM events in the life of Robert Francis TALBOT in Australia?

What state of Australia?
Have you seen the written history that he made of his life?

I actually have a lot of info on him once he settled in Australia, the Problem for him is where he was actually born and the most important part is  about his parents. This is an area that nobody can find any information about.
 The earliest info is a Navy registration held at the archives which states reference ADM 188/60/73294.
Name Talbot Robert Official Number 73294, place of birth Tannavaid, Tipperary, Date of birth April 1842.

There is also a census of 1861 where it states; Robert Talbot - Royal Navy at sea and in Ports Abroad, Male - age 19 - single -2nd Class - Birth 1842 Ireland

I also have a copy of a list of Officers, Crew and Marines aboard on the night of Sunday April 7th 1861 where it states:
Robert Talbot - 2nd Class - single - aged 19 - Tipperary, Ireland

His memoirs were rewritten by his one great Grandson and I have a copy of it. It was also in the Newspaper.
He was aboard HMS Clio in 1870 in Australia, upon the end of the 3 years they returned to England where he was paid off and returned to Australia aboard Barque Jerusalem.

Marriage certificate states:
4th Sept 1873 - Robert Francis Talbot - Batchelor - Ireland - Steward, HMS Clio - Sydney - William Talbot (professor of music) & Hannah Mary Watts

Death certificate states: his name as Robert Francis Talbot, Father William Talbot (Farmer) and where born as Malahide, Dublin, Ireland.
These entries had been by his Leslie Talbot

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 May 21 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

This looks to be Robert's entry from the National Archives that you mention https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6606181

If you don't have this document, it is currently free to download. You need to register/sign in to order and download.

I have found one sibling for Robert I think. His name was David (or Daniel as a variant, shows with both).

His marriage entry to Catherine McLean has got awful writing. Trying to make it out still! From Family Search for some detail see www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY7J-99F

I read this as his parents being William Talbot, agricultural labourer and Ann Talbot, MS (maiden name) Watts. She is showing as deceased, father William is not showing as deceased on this document.

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 May 21 22:33 BST (UK) »
1871 Census for Daniel/David:

David Talbot 27 candlemaker b. Ireland
Cathrine Talbot 25 b. Stirling Parish
Robert Talbot 4
Ann Talbot 5 Months    
Allan Dow 28 Lodger
Peter Mulhobrice 16 lodger
Peter Kelly 17 Lodger

Address:11 Simpson Street, West Calder, Midlothian

1881:

Daniel Talbot 36 married candlemaker b. Ireland
Robert Talbot 14
Anna Maria Talbot 10    
Ellen Talbot 8
Daniel Talbot 6
William Talbot 4

Address: 8 Campbell St, West Calder, Midlothian

Can't see them so far after this census.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 May 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
Something happens with the family around this time. There is an assault charge for Daniel against his wife in 1877 (he got a month's hard labour for that). 1881 he is with the children still showing as married. There is a likely 1881 census entry for Catherine showing as a pauper at the Craiglockhart Poorhouse at Colinton, Midlothian. A one year Colin Talbot is with her.

1883 and there is a shipping manifest with just the children heading off to the US:

Robert 17
Annie 11
Ellen 9
Daniel 8
William
Colin 4

They departed from Glasgow on the 'State of Indiana' and arrived in NY on 3 Dec 1883.

Not much detail on these manifests at this time.

Maybe they were joining with father if he had headed out before them? I can't easily see deaths for Daniel Snr and Catherine in Scotland so far.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 May 21 23:07 BST (UK) »
The family seem to have prospered in the US making their home in Bayonne, New Jersey.

I found this bio for the eldest son Robert www.findagrave.com/memorial/6378494/robert-j.-talbot

A little creative re writing of history it seems  ::) and why not! A new life in a new country...

Just confirmation of his birth date from www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ1V-HVX The middle name initial of J for Robert was for Joseph.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 May 21 23:25 BST (UK) »
You are likely to find lots of free records on the family's US life on Family Search.

These are some of the Talbot children in 1900 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9JF-C7K

These look to be records for youngest son Colin www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK1G-QCK7

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 May 21 23:34 BST (UK) »
This is the 1885 census in New Jersey www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6RL6-8ZM No sign of Catherine McLean Talbot still is there. I have a feeling she may not have joined the family in the US?

There is no US 1890 census, so from here, you jump to 1900.

Monica