Author Topic: Getting to Australia  (Read 839 times)

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Getting to Australia
« on: Sunday 30 May 21 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wondering if someone might help me please?

I have George Gordon b. 1846 Tynemouth, Northumberland married 1874 to Sarah Marshall b. 1851 Tynemouth. They had 3 children Jane Elizabeth b 1875, Stephen Marshall b 1877 d. 1879 and Charlotte Stanley b March qtr,1879 all in Tynemouth.

They immigrated to Victoria, Australia sometime between the birth of Charlotte and their next child Isabella b. 1881 Warrak, Victoria.

I can't find any passenger lists etc as to how or when they departed/arrived.

Sarah Gordon nee Marshall's parents Stephen Charles Marshall a mariner and Jane Marshall nee Ord
immigrated to Victoria 19 Sep 1879 on the Hankow but George and Sarah and 2 children aren't with them.

I've tried everything to try find them on a ship to no avail but I may have missed something. I would be really appreciative of some assistance if you could help me.

Thanking you, Marj

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Getting to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
Very odd,but when you look at the manifest for the MARSHALLs on the Hankow 1879-take a  good look at the JOHNSONs directly below them.

Also (further down the page) are a Stephen MARSHALL and Geo GORDON. I have no idea what the notation beside their names means!

Maureen

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
Manifest on Family Search:

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qnd/

Maureen

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 May 21 20:11 BST (UK) »

Also (further down the page) are a Stephen MARSHALL and Geo GORDON. I have no idea what the notation beside their names means!

Maureen

It looks like their names are crossed out and the comment is 'now on XXX' but I can't see another ship with a name which is anything like that  missing word.   ???
A couple of pages back there is another crossed out passenger with a similar comment in the same illegible hand

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 May 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks,Bev!

I think I'll stop looking at that one. ::)

Pretty sure that they belong with the MARSHALL/JOHNSON group,though because of the ticket numbers.

Maureen

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 May 21 22:14 BST (UK) »

Maureen

It looks like their names are crossed out and the comment is 'now on XXX' but I can't see another ship with a name which is anything like that  missing word.   ???
A couple of pages back there is another crossed out passenger with a similar comment in the same illegible hand

Bev

I think it says “ now on board”

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 May 21 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I did go through the manifest for the Hankow 1879 and saw the notations for Stephen Marshall and Geo Gordon but then I saw the ages and this George was too young and said "single". I'll have another look at the log.

I bought George's DC and the info given was by his daughter Isabella - 1st born in Oz - so I thought she would know how long he had been in Oz. She says 27 years which would make it about 1881. Seeing she was born 4th April 1881 and the 27 years is correct, then they would've arrived between January and April - just a thought.

I've attached the DC record.