Author Topic: James Patrick RYAN - born Frogmore, NSW in 1881.  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Carmel000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Patrick RYAN - born Frogmore, NSW in 1881.
« on: Sunday 30 May 21 06:24 BST (UK) »
What happened to James Patrick Ryan, born in Frogmore, NSW in 1881?

I’m looking for information about James Patrick Ryan, born on 1 August 1881 in the town of Frogmore/Frogmoor in the District of Boorowa/Burrowa, NSW, Australia. Parents: Patrick Ryan and Mary Payne.

I don’t know where or when he died and very little about his life. I have a lot of information on his parents and 8 siblings. They were all born and died in NSW.

So far this is all I have of his life:

I think he died sometime after his sister Elizabeth's death in August 1954 because he was mentioned in her Newspaper Death Notice.

He was not mentioned in his sister Evelyn’s Death Notice in 1963. This may or may not mean he was dead by then. The only remaining sibling, their sister Annie, was mentioned in the notice.

In December 1944, he was mentioned in his brother John Cecil’s Death Notice (as John’s brother Jim).

In 1930, he was mentioned in his mother Mary’s Obituary in 1930, (as her son Jim, living in Sydney).

In 1924, he was mentioned as Best Man at his brother’s wedding in Sydney, NSW.

Some online family trees have him as the husband of Alice King or Margelina Drain or Esther Boneham. Maybe I’m missing something but I can’t see how the records show that he belongs to any of these families.

For me, there are too many James Patrick Ryans on the Electoral Rolls, Ryerson Index and online BDM Indexes to check up on, without knowing more details about his life. Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Patrick RYAN - born Frogmore, NSW in 1881.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmel

Only one chap in the Ryerson Index very close in age but with different parents.
Names of parents in the death index are not always correct.

Essie

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 21 13:05 BST (UK) »

Some online family trees have him as the husband of Alice King or Margelina Drain or Esther Boneham.

The husband of Esther BONEHAM died in 1933 - his obituary and funeral...

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/143156208
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14314736

The James RYAN who married Margelina DRAIN died in Queensland in 1941.  His funeral announcement...

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/186615378

His death registration gives parents' names as Thomas RYAN and Mary CANTWELL.

The Patrick James RYAN who married Alice May KING was born in Beechworth, Victoria and at marriage he named his parents as Peter RYAN and Margaret KEOUGH.  He died in NSW in 1931.

I don't know what is wrong with some of these people with Ancestry family trees.

Debra  :)

Offline Carmel000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 May 21 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Essie

Thank you so much for replying. Yes you're right he is a good candidate. I looked at the man from St Peters a little while ago and couldn't find enough to prove or disprove. I took him to be the same man who lived at Unwin's Bridge Road, St Peters in the 1930s to 1950s who is on a number of Electoral Rolls. He also lived in the area in 1934. He lived with what looks like a wife called Mary Jane and several children. I'll start looking at him again. There might be more records available now. Any other ideas very welcome. Thanks.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 May 21 00:29 BST (UK) »
He married Mary Jane HACKETT in 1907.  The only way to know if he is a contender would be to get a copy of the marriage cert.

5240/1907
RYAN,  JAMES P
HACKETT,  MARY J
NEWTOWN

Debra  :)

Offline Carmel000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 May 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra

Thank you very much for your efforts. Yes that's the James who is not the James I'm looking for. I'm glad you think so too. I've spent a lot of time looking at Esther Boneham and Alice King and Margelina Drain and have satisfied myself my James didn't marry any one of them. Thanks for putting up the information.

Carmel

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 May 21 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if this will help or not, but might save somebody else researching the info I have located

Mary Jane Hackett  Birth details, NSW BDM
             HACKETT MARY J  12415/1883 WILLIAM MARY A                      WEST MACQUARIE

death     RYAN MARY JANE 4414/1962 WILLIAM MARY JANE                  NEWTOWN

This ladys husbands Death

RYAN JAMES PATRICK 11429/ 1957 JAMES PATRICK MARY JOSEPHINE     NEWTOWN

I have found the death and funeral notices for both James and Mary, if you would like details send me a PM with your email.

They both died at St Peters, James on 12.6.1957 and Mary 16.1.1962 , and are buried at Rookwood Catholic cemetery

Cass

Offline Carmel000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 May 21 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Cass

Thank you very much for the information and the offer. I’ll contact you privately. The funeral and death notices will be interesting. On the bright side, it looks like Mary Jane Hackett comes from the area of NSW where my James Patrick was born and grew up. On the other hand, I’m a bit worried about James from St Peters having Mary Josephine as his mother. Fingers crossed I can either prove or disprove the James from St Peter’s is the one I’m looking for.

Carmel

Offline Carmel000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 May 21 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra

Thank you you for providing the information on Mary Jane Hackett’s marriage to James Patrick Ryan. I’m following it up.

Carmel