Author Topic: James Patrick RYAN - born Frogmore, NSW in 1881.  (Read 1379 times)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: James Patrick RYAN - born Frogmore, NSW in 1881.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmel,
   I've sent you a pm with links to the photographs of the  probates.   James Patrick RYAN's death certificate gives his mother as Mary Josephine PAYNE

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Carmel000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros

Thanks so much for all your trouble. Yes, the Death Certificate is interesting - it does clearly say PAYNE. Lots of Ryans in that area at that time but not many Paynes. I’ve just ordered the Marriage Transcription for James Patrick Ryan and Mary Jane Hackett in 1907. Hopefully, that will clear up the inconsistencies with the names of James Patrick’s parents. Fingers crossed.

I’ll let you know,
Carmel

Offline Carmel000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 June 21 00:06 BST (UK) »

The Marriage Transcription for James Patrick Ryan and Mary Jane Hackett just arrived. It looks like the right James. Finally. I hope so.

It says he was born at Frogmore, was living at Burraga, Bachelor, and age (25). Father: Patrick Ryan, (Occupation: Smelter) and Mother: Mary Payne. One of the witnesses was Agnes Ryan (one of James’ sisters is named Agnes). They were married on 24 April 1907 at St Mary’s Church, Erskineville, NSW (Roman Catholic Church).

I know some of his family were still living at Burraga in 1907 and some were on their way to Sydney during this period before WWI.

The Transcription also says the Bride was Mary Jane Hackett, Dressmaker, Spinster, age 23, born in Perth, NSW, and living at Erskineville. Father: William Hackett, Farmer, Deceased. Mother: Mary Ann Girdler. Witness: George Hackett.

There are details in the Death Certificate that don’t quite match James Patrick’s Birth and Marriage documents, particularly his parents’ names, but I’m hoping his daughter, the Informant, just didn’t know the correct information. Generally, the details are consistent across the documents.

I’ll have a good look at Trove and hopefully find a wedding notice for them either in the Sydney papers or Burraga area newspapers. I’ve been lucky in the past with other family members and found similar events noted in their hometown papers. I’ll keep looking for a bit more supporting information that this is my James Patrick but there may not be any.

Thanks again so much for all the help you people provided. I really appreciate it.

Carmel

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 June 21 00:37 BST (UK) »

The Marriage Transcription for James Patrick Ryan and Mary Jane Hackett just arrived. It looks like the right James. Finally. I hope so.

It says he was born at Frogmore, was living at Burraga, Bachelor, and age (25). Father: Patrick Ryan, (Occupation: Smelter) and Mother: Mary Payne. One of the witnesses was Agnes Ryan (one of James’ sisters is named Agnes). They were married on 24 April 1907 at St Mary’s Church, Erskineville, NSW (Roman Catholic Church).

I know some of his family were still living at Burraga in 1907 and some were on their way to Sydney during this period before WWI.

The Transcription also says the Bride was Mary Jane Hackett, Dressmaker, Spinster, age 23, born in Perth, NSW, and living at Erskineville. Father: William Hackett, Farmer, Deceased. Mother: Mary Ann Girdler. Witness: George Hackett.

There are details in the Death Certificate that don’t quite match James Patrick’s Birth and Marriage documents, particularly his parents’ names, but I’m hoping his daughter, the Informant, just didn’t know the correct information. Generally, the details are consistent across the documents.

I’ll have a good look at Trove and hopefully find a wedding notice for them either in the Sydney papers or Burraga area newspapers. I’ve been lucky in the past with other family members and found similar events noted in their hometown papers. I’ll keep looking for a bit more supporting information that this is my James Patrick but there may not be any.

Thanks again so much for all the help you people provided. I really appreciate it.

Carmel

Re Perth NSW.   That could be Penrith NSW (the state archives are in the Penrith Local Government Area, ) or Perthville, NSW ... on the western side of the Blue Mountains, out near Bathurst. 

I think Penrith is the more likely.  The St Marys council (absorbed into Penrith LGA mid 20th century)  had an Inspector of Nuisances in the early 1900s ....  he was Charles HACKETT and the bus route from St Marys Railway station to the archives at Kingswood travels along Charles Hackett Drive to the Great Western Highway... Frogmore also leads to that same highway.  Back in 1900s it was the Western Road,  Parramatta to Bathurst, across the Miountains.  Crops and grazing and some industries eg tanning.

If you are interested in Hackett and local history  let me know, as I was, for many years, part of a team of volunteers travelling often to the archives to help  index many of the archives and we would each take turns to also put together some info about the archives locality and share over lunch etc.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 June 21 00:55 BST (UK) »
 :)

Burraga

NSW electiral rolls 1902.  I will type up fully later today, but James Patrick RYAN, a blacksmith and George HACKETT, a labourer, both enrolled with Burraga as addresses.

My Oberon ancient rellies phoned me to keep me on my toes.  ::)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Carmel000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi JM

Thank you for the information. Sorry, I didn’t put up the details of Mary Jane Hackett Ryan’s Death Certificate earlier. It said she was born in PERTHVILLE, NSW (which is on the southern outskirts of Bathurst) and died aged 77 years in 1962. Her father was William Hackett and her mother was Mary Girdler Hackett (although this certificate has her mother as Mary JANE Girdler, the other documents all have Mary Jane Hackett Ryan’s mother's name as Mary ANNE Girdler).

There's a Birth registered in the NSW BDM Index in 1883 which looks like her:
Mary J Hackett, Parents: William and Mary A Hackett. Birth registered in the District of West Macquarie, NSW.

I also have Mary Jane Hackett Ryan’s father’s Death Certificate. It says he was William Hackett. He was a miner who died in 1895, aged 43 years. His wife was Mary Anne Girdler. He was born at Windsor, NSW and died at Burraga, NSW. His parents were Thomas Hackett, Farmer, and Sarah Day.

I don't know yet if these Hacketts are related to the family you know. I've only started to look into them.

Any early Electoral Rolls or Census documents you have on James Patrick or any of his family would be very helpful. Thanks again for your help.

Carmel

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 03:23 BST (UK) »
:)

Burraga

NSW electiral rolls 1902.  I will type up fully later today, but James Patrick RYAN, a blacksmith and George HACKETT, a labourer, both enrolled with Burraga as addresses.

My Oberon ancient rellies phoned me to keep me on my toes.  ::)

JM

I will have my hardcopy back this evening, so I can type it up then. 

JM