Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 29th May  (Read 758 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 29th May
« on: Sunday 30 May 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
Was expecting wall to wall sunshine today, instead the day started off really misty. Took the opportunity to do some of the pile of ironing that had been building up. By lunchtime it was clearing out and I went for a walk. There was something on at the rugby club, at that time it seemed to be just someone shouting over the loudspeaker.

Spent the afternoon in the garden, some gardening and some reading. It was pleasantly warm, there was some cloud around so not scorching.  There was a children's do at the rugby club which started mid afternoon, could only hear a lot of shouting over the loudspeakers.  In the early evening another event started, I couldn't hear music, just a heavy thud thud. It was a house music do so not surprising that it was heavy on the bass, I'm not a party pooper but from this distance it was horrible. I think there must have been complaints as the volume went down after a while. It finished at 10.30 so not quite as bad as the ones last August that went on till midnight.

Made some changes to my Tesco order, the wine offer is back on so I ended up with rather a large bill. Watched last night's episodes of Doc Martin. Buddy the dog was taken by PC Penhale to join the local police force, hilarious.

Glad you all like the new avatar.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 29th May
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
Well here, we did get hot sunshine from early in the day, Roobarb, and I enjoyed my early bread raid on town, although it was clear we have a huge influx of holiday makers for the bank holiday at least.
After a coffee break we walked through the park and back streets to Oldway Mansion, and returned by the sea front, trying to dodge large groups as far as possible. The green has a fairground which limits opportunities to keep out of the way.
Sat on the balcony reading while H did some tutoring, and then took a stroll along the prom after tea to enjoy the last of the evening sunshine. Astonishingly, within sight at anchor in Torbay, there were 6 cruise ships and 2 enormous container vessels.
I feel your pain with the racket emanating from the rugby club Roobarb.  We have a family who have visited their holiday home in the complex, including 4 youngish kids racing around the car park on bikes and scooters. Also BBQ going on till the small hours etc, etc. I have got used to funereal quiet, and I am having difficulties adjusting again!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 May 21 09:54 BST (UK) »
When what used to be normal events occur now it’s a jolt to the system ... we’ve become used to a relative peace and quiet over this past year, so I’m sure that’s one of the things we’d all like to stay the same.... not wanting to spoil people’s enjoyment though can sometimes be hard to live with! At least it finished at a sensible time Roobarb!
Gosh MH that’s a lot of ships in the bay! Glad to hear you were at least able to enjoy a peaceful evening stroll!

My day
OH was off to golf and it was already 16C by 8:30am! After I’d showered I drove to Lidl’s to get the bits of shopping I needed and found it very quiet.... thankfully, I then popped into Waitrose for a few special bits for Monday bbq with friends.
Returning home mid morning it was quite warm and I couldn’t wait to fling open all the windows and let in some air...
After some general tidying up I made lunch and went and sat in the garden, it was very warm by now so changed into shorts and scrappy top...
OH arrived home bit hot and bothered, his game of golf was one of two halves apparently....
 had a message from H to say husband M not able to come out of hospital as they’d hoped... all organ functions good but blood still not where they want it so have to now wait until Wednesday when he has his bone marrow biopsy... phoned her straight away she was very fed up and quite tearful... the driving to and fro every day she’s finding exhausting too... feel so helpless as we’re not near enough to help. M naturally fed up.... feel for them both.
We had our first bbq which was lovely to sit out in the early evening sunshine... whilst sitting enjoying our meal our neighbour visited her bin twice in five minutes... O.H quite loudly made a comment about living next to a recycle centre and they must realise our patio is nearby! She popped her head over the fence.. so a conversation was had, she admitted she has OCD about bins... but all will hopefully be resolved.. we’ve been good neighbours for 30+ years... think this past year has really affected her.. oh dear what a dilemma this all is!
Came inside and watched tv read for a while....

Hope everyone’s weather will be sunny today too.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 May 21 13:29 BST (UK) »
This past week a quiet one for me with just the usual activities.

Was very surprised when I received my Asda delivery on Friday - when brought to my door it was once again in carrier bags.   When I commented to the driver that I thought they'd stopped doing this he said they have, but he recognised my address having been before and as he had some bags in the van thought he'd use some for me.   Very sweet of him.

The couple in Flat 5 off to Belfast for a week on 30th to celebrate A's brothers 60th birthday.  No doubt they'll have a good time and glad that they are able to go.

A lovely sunny day today (how nice to be able to say that) and being collected at 4pm by my sister and b-in-law for a little walk at Woodbridge and then a meal out.   Looking forward to that.

Let's all enjoy the weather while we can but remember to still stay safe.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk