Author Topic: The same soldier with 2 service numbers and regiments and possibly rank  (Read 540 times)

Offline eliza57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to solve a puzzle that I have with my great grandfather and his ww1 service.  He served in the 1st staffordshire Regiment, no 9873 as a private. He also served in the 7th service South Lnchashire Regiment, no 31207, as a private. He survived the was and was discharged in 1920. However, I have a photo of him in uniform (no date). His uniform I am sure is that of an officer, collar and tie and sam browne belt, and he has 2 buttons on his shoulders which give him the rank of Lieutenant.  He has a peaked cap on showing the cap badge of the "labour/pioneer" corp and not either of the other 2 regiments.  I am at a loss as to how I can find out anything about this change in rank from Pte between 1914 to 1918 to possibly officer?  I would appreciate any help and advice someone can offer. Thanks

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The same soldier with 2 service numbers and regiments and possibly rank
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 May 21 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat!

You don't give a surname- was it Gar*t? Only one I could find with 9873.

Where did the other info come from please?

Kind regards,
Maureen

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline eliza57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 May 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes that is my great grandfather. I got as far as that record for his 2 regiments and his medal awards but as it says he is a private in both regiments.  His uniform is clearly an officers and has the labour/corp cp badge.  What I am trying to possibly find out is where did he go from being a private to a lieutenant.  My best guess is that after 1918 he stayed in the army and became a labour corp man and because of his previous miner experience he was promoted to that rank.  As I said I don't know and its just for my curiosity.  Thanks again for replying

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 May 21 10:27 BST (UK) »
The two numbers are easily explained.  Until the early 20s numbers were regimental so changing regiments meant a change of regimental number.  His service record does not appear to have survived so when he changed regiments isn't certain.

If we are indeed looking at Joseph Rollason, then there is no sign in the London Gazette of a commissioning notice in that name up to and including WW2.

Is it certain that the photo is the same man?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 May 21 11:52 BST (UK) »
Army Pension records show that he was discharged as a Private on 6 July 1920.

Free to view today on Fold 3:

https://www.fold3.com/image/703621151

https://www.fold3.com/image/703621153
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk