Author Topic: Danish marriage 1870  (Read 260 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Danish marriage 1870
« on: Monday 31 May 21 03:28 BST (UK) »
Is someone able to translate this please. It is a Danish marriage from 1870 but believe it may be in Latin.

Many thanks.
Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Danish marriage 1870
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 May 21 11:35 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's Latin. A lot of it is fairly standard marriage entry stuff, but the gist of it is:

Married on 20 November after proclamation on 3 occasions

Johann Theodore Robert (Kusche) Bochnig, widower, born in Oels, Prussia on 6 May 1831 to Antony Kusche and his wife Marianna (née Bochnig), 39½ years old

Karen Kirstin Hansen, spinster, born in Tommerup near Odense on 21 Apr 1844 (29½ 26½ years old) to Johanna Maria Hansdatter [no father named here]

Witnesses: W Stender & M Hess; Priest: H Grüder

N.B.
1. The groom seems to be using his mother's maiden name - I don't know if that's some kind of convention of the place or time, or if it means his parents weren't married when he was born. Also, I've transcribed it as Bochnig but if the dot is misplaced it could be Boching. Johann would be the usual German form of John; here it's in Latin without the 'h'.
2. Oels is in Silesia, then part of Prussia but now in Poland and called Oleśnica.
3. I'm pretty confident of Tommerup, which is near Odense; but the Latin for Odense is Othania, which would give Othaniam rather than Othoniam written here.

(Karen's age corrected later)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 May 21 22:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Arthurk.

He came to NZ in 1871 as a widower as just Robert BOCHNIG. Married again in 1874 and this time his wide survived and produced six children. The name became anglicised at BOCKING but has now died out.

Think I found him in the 1870 Danish census. Can make out the word Silesia and that he was Catholic. No sign of his wife though.

Ian C

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 10:36 BST (UK) »
If you can't find Karen's death, then in view of the way Robert's surname is recorded at the marriage, could it be under her maiden name? Someone familiar with Danish names and records might know, but that's not me.

Incidentally, I've just noticed that I got her age wrong so I've corrected it.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk