Author Topic: RICHARD WHITFORD, Insolvency and Imprisonment  (Read 587 times)

Offline jan w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
RICHARD WHITFORD, Insolvency and Imprisonment
« on: Monday 31 May 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
The following judgement appeared in Gore's Liverpool General Advertiser 30 November 1826 about an Insolvency case for RICHARD WHITFORD:
"the Insolvent had fraudently disposed of his property, with a view to deprive his creditors of that portion to which they were entitled. If this conclusion were wrong, The Insolvent could apply to have his case reheard, but under the present circumstances, he, the Commissioner, was bound to conclude that a fraud had been practised. The judgement of the Court was that he be imprisoned for 13 months from the date of filing his petition."
Would I be right in presuming that he was imprisoned in Lancaster: can anyone confirm this?  Would there would be any records?
This is the last known sighting of Richard Whitford - he and his wife disappear completely.
Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Jan W
Ace, Atkins, Bowen, Cleypit, David,Eaton,Holand,Jenkin,Lewis, Rees, from Gower.
Brown, Howard, from Scotland
Daniel, Garrat,Whitford from Liverpool
Shimin, Jones, from Isle of Man
Tracey, from Dublin

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD WHITFORD, Insolvency and Imprisonment
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 08:39 BST (UK) »
can you post the wifes name as well please  :)
do you have Richards date and place of birth and wifes maiden name

1826 is right in the middle period of the 1788-1868 prisoners shipped to Australia's 80 span of transport ships .- have you considered this ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 08:56 BST (UK) »
I could go through these Transport convict ships lists of 1826 - but it may be more fun for you if you did

https://convictrecords.com.au/timeline/1826

enjoy the research  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
The newspaper article mentions his father and a West Country link and a sister "Ann Jones" -  there's an Ann Whitford/Jones marriage Stoke Damerel, 1782.
Earlier that year, same place, a Richard Whitford, "joyner in the yard" married a Mary Davis.

Is there a link?

Online Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 10:25 BST (UK) »
The London Gazette, 30 July 1822, page 1268, mentions the petition of an insolvent debtor, Richard Whitford, late of Trehane-Mills, in the Parish of Probus, Cornwall, miller.

Why assume Lancaster Prison?  Does Gore's mention that, or where he lived?

Offline jan w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 12:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry all, I should have given more detail. I have not been able to find Richard's birth - he married Charlotte Jones on the Isle of Man in 1812, his occupation was 'mariner' at the time of their one and only son's birth in Liverpool in 1814.   
The reference to Ann Jones in the trial confirmed that this is the same Richard who married Charlotte Jones on the IOM.
The reference to Richard's father being in Falmouth is too vague to identify - or too vague for me, anyway. Oral family history claims that Richard was born in Helston, which is fairly close to Falmouth, but this also has been hard to confirm.
I've looked at emigration records to Australia and Canada with no luck, and the couple did not appear in the 1841 Census.
This small newspaper report is the first clue I've had in the 20+ years of my search! That is why I'm  asking about court records, specifically in Lancaster because that is the most likely place for imprisonment as the county town for Lancashire.

Ace, Atkins, Bowen, Cleypit, David,Eaton,Holand,Jenkin,Lewis, Rees, from Gower.
Brown, Howard, from Scotland
Daniel, Garrat,Whitford from Liverpool
Shimin, Jones, from Isle of Man
Tracey, from Dublin

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 12:37 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the entry on FindMyPast "Register of Wages and effects of deceased seamen"?
It lists a Richd Whitford, ship Cleopatra, died 21 Sep 1862 - and under "Where paid" is "Livepool". No age is given.

However, if "your" Richard married 1812 (born c 1790?) he would be over 70 in 1862. Would he still be at sea?

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 12:54 BST (UK) »
Have you seen that this debtors' prison and where to find records has been discussed before?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=204678.0

Good luck
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke