Author Topic: leases renewable forever  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: leases renewable forever
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for explanations.
Cowban

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
If the lease was in Kerry it could be a "Shelburne Lease". These arose from the Grand Lease of 1696/7 when 195,000 acres was out leased by the Pettys. This lease and many subsidiary leases were in perpetuity.

Daniel O'Connell bought one of the subsidiary leases in 1837. The wording states "with a covenant for perpetual renewal on the fall of each life for ever" - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-C9W3-8?cat=185720

These leases were challenged in the courts through the middle of the 18th century but were allowed to stand.

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 23:03 BST (UK) »
If the lease was in Kerry it could be a "Shelburne Lease". These arose from the Grand Lease of 1696/7 when 195,000 acres was out leased by the Pettys. This lease and many subsidiary leases were in perpetuity.

Daniel O'Connell bought one of the subsidiary leases in 1837. The wording states "with a covenant for perpetual renewal on the fall of each life for ever" - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-C9W3-8?cat=18572

This was Kerry. Should I just look in this index for my townland in look for similar wording?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
this is a listing in the Ordnance Survey Names Book that says "lease renewable forever," ie. this is not a lease of lives.

Methinks you are on a wild goose chase. You are misunderstanding/misinterpreting.
The "lease renewable forever"  **IS** almost certainly a lease of lives, one renewable forever.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:40 BST (UK) »
Methinks you are on a wild goose chase. You are misunderstanding/misinterpreting.
The "lease renewable forever"  **IS** almost certainly a lease of lives, one renewable forever.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean (or how that would work)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:44 BST (UK) »

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean (or how that would work)

It has been explained several times over within this thread.  The lease is for lives. When a life dies, another life can be nominated to replace the deceased life That is what makes it renewable forever.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:51 BST (UK) »

It has been explained several times over within this thread.

Thanks. I must have been too stupid to pick it up the first few times.