Author Topic: Diary > Monday 31st May  (Read 871 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 31st May
« on: Tuesday 01 June 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Looked in hoping to read about people's interesting bank holidays, unfortunately no-one here so here's my very ordinary day:

Pretty much a repeat of Sunday. A lovely sunny day, usual morning walk, spent the rest of the day in the garden. It was warmer, enough for me to put the parasol up, also it was wonderfully quiet. Did more gardening than on Sunday and a lot of reading.

Roasted the chicken I'd had delivered, wasn't sure whether I wanted a roast dinner when it was so warm but it was cool in the house so that's what I had. Just finished reading a thriller, will read something calmer now.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 31st May
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
Can't say mine was interesting, Roobarb!

When I saw my sister on Sunday she said they were going to a garden nursery (can't remember which one it was) and would I like to go with them.   I decided not to as I thought it was likely to be pretty busy.   A beautiful sunny day again but quite a stiff breeze too.   Had all the windows open but late afternoon it got chilly with the breeze so closed them again.

Lots of things I ought to be doing but decided that as a Bank Holiday I should have a restful day!  Just did some jigsaw (a devilish tricky one) and more knitting.   Went outside early evening to water all the pots and then my downstairs neighbour came to his door and said he'd already done them!   Must have been quite a while earlier as pots didn't look as if recently watered.

When I went to bed continued with the book I've just started on my tablet - The Missing Sister - which has only just be released.   So far, not enjoying it as much as the previous 6.

Dinner was chicken hotpot followed by tiramisu - small glass of wine to accompany it.

Hope others enjoyed their day.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
Your day sounds as exciting as mine Annette!  The other regulars must have had such a whale of a time  that they're still recovering.  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 19:59 BST (UK) »
Annette- sorry your day wasn’t that exciting.... I find Bank hol days out best to be avoided.... too many people for my liking!
Hope you get the better of your jigsaw! OH’s doing one with all dogs in different sizes and various positions all on a white background!

Roobarb & Custard ( mustn’t forget him!) - sorry you were disappointed no one had started Mondays for you to read.... I was too tired... you’ll see why below! Always good to relax in the sunshine and potter...

My day

When I got up and pulled the blind my heart sank as it was dull and cloudy... but not cold... after breakfast the sun broke though and it turned into a pleasant... warm day...
As we had people coming for a bbq in the evening I had a great deal of prep to do... first make a dessert...an easy one just needed to cook a pastry case... got the pre rolled pastry out and realised I’d bought sweet puff pastry and not short crust 😱😩 never made a pie with it before... well I just put it in the oven making sure it was well cooked before adding the ingredients, mix of mascarpone, strained Greek yogurt, vanilla paste and lemon zest, a few spoonfuls of lemon curd run through it, then topped with blueberries that I’d made into a compote then added few fresh ones ontop.... I then spent most of the rest of the day making salads, I found a lovely one for thin sliced courgettes tossed in olive oil, lemon juice, shredded mint leaves, flat leaf parsley, chopped nuts, red chilli....
I did shredded beetroot with carrots added ground coriander and lots of pepper...
having done all that I realised I was also hosting our Tuesday coffee so fortunately had a courgette cake in the freezer so defrosted that and made the filling of cream cheese icing sugar and lime juice and zest sandwich it together. I then made some flapjacks which I sandwiched an apricot compost I’d made between it....
We had lamb and pepper skewers ( made up by the butchers) ...
It was a lovely evening and we had a thoroughly good time! I did however manage to have sent the wrong time to one of our friends so when after 20 mins they’d not arrived I gave them a call! Good job they only live up the lane behind us 😂😂😂.
Went to bed at almost 1pm totally shattered... been on my feet all day! So nice though to get dressed up and have friends round.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 20:31 BST (UK) »
Wow, no wonder you were tired Caroline, you're like a one woman catering company! I'm sure your guests will have enjoyed it all, they must have been feeling thoroughly spoilt.  :)  Hope you've been having a rest today although considering how much you always seem to fit in a day I'm guessing that's unlikely!

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 18:50 BST (UK) »