Author Topic: (Gerald) James McMahon  (Read 572 times)

Offline monthebiff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(Gerald) James McMahon
« on: Tuesday 01 June 21 18:29 BST (UK) »
Can anyone prove or disprove that this death cert (first pic) is or isn't belonging to the man of these birth and marriage records?
I know the d.o.b is the same but I can't find for definite that he had changed his first name to Gerald from James.
I have tried to find where Gerald is buried but couldn't find him.
I hope this is clear enough!

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: (Gerald) James McMahon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 20:14 BST (UK) »
On the face of it I would say that it is the same man as the dates of birth are the same.

Have you considered obtaining his death certificate from the GRO?  It will cost £11.00 as it is not within the range of pdf certificates.

You could try writing to the Chelsea council burial department and ask if they have any record of his burial.

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-marriages/births-and-deaths/deaths-registering-death/cemetery-services

There is an email address for their cemetery services. Scroll down the page a bit and you will see it.  Worth a try.  They may be able to point you in the right direction if they can't help.

Have you traced Gerald/James from Ireland to the UK, as I see that he married in Ireland.  Did they have any children?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline monthebiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
On the face of it I would say that it is the same man as the dates of birth are the same.

Have you considered obtaining his death certificate from the GRO?  It will cost £11.00 as it is not within the range of pdf certificates.

You could try writing to the Chelsea council burial department and ask if they have any record of his burial.

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-marriages/births-and-deaths/deaths-registering-death/cemetery-services

There is an email address for their cemetery services. Scroll down the page a bit and you will see it.  Worth a try.  They may be able to point you in the right direction if they can't help.

Have you traced Gerald/James from Ireland to the UK, as I see that he married in Ireland.  Did they have any children?

Brilliant thanks! I've ordered the death certificate and I contacted the Chelsea burial department and they got back to me with the location of his grave!

I found the marriage and birth certs through doing a tree connected to my DNA matches. I'm trying to trace my great grandfather who I was always told he was Gerry McMahon from Ireland, however on my nans birth cert it says James McMahon. My nan was born in Acton so he obviously moved from Ireland to London at some point, I just can't figure out why (or if) he would have changed his name to Gerald. It does all add up as Chelsea is right next door to Acton. I just want to be absolutely sure this is him as I've been searching for 10 years now!

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 12:16 BST (UK) »
That's good news that Chelsea have given you his burial details.  Hopefully the death certificate will link him either to his wife or a child if he had any.

I can understand why you wish to be quite certain you have the right man.  I does get confusing when people change their name for no apparent reason.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 20:35 BST (UK) »
There is a likely entry for this Gerard in the London Electoral Registers for 1964. He shows as Gerard J McMahon, living with an Annmarie with the same surname, at 36 Chatsworth Gardens, Acton.

There are entries for him and Annmarie/Annamaria at various addresses in Acton from around 1956.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline monthebiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 June 21 10:10 BST (UK) »
I just found this death entry which is odd!
Same name and dob as James' wife and same year and location as his death

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 June 21 10:34 BST (UK) »
Could you get the names of others in the grave from Chelsea burial department?

Added
It all looks favourable though.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 June 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
There is a likely entry for this Gerard in the London Electoral Registers for 1964. He shows as Gerard J McMahon, living with an Annmarie with the same surname, at 36 Chatsworth Gardens, Acton.

There are entries for him and Annmarie/Annamaria at various addresses in Acton from around 1956.

Monica

That man is Gerard not Gerald. I think the ‘J’ is eligibility for jury service.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk