Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday 1st June  (Read 750 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Tuesday 1st June
« on: Tuesday 01 June 21 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thought I’d get in first as Roobarb is such a stalwart with first entries I wanted to lessen the burden.....

It was my friend J’s and my cousins birthdays today... as well as Marilyn Monroes... I sent them both my best wishes first thing... what a beautiful day for a birthday, bright, sunny and warm..
I faced last nights washing up after the bbq and then got things ready for the girls coming in for coffee & cake! We sat outside soaking up the sun and it was lunchtime by the time they left... considering I saw two of them last night you wonder we’d still have things to talk about.... don’t be ridiculous isn’t that women do.. said my OH .. I could have hit him!!
After lunch I had a wander up the village to pop the lottery winnings through the door...
Had a message from H to say M was having his biopsy today and a scan of some sort... apparently they need his bed... so what happens if he’s not well enough to leave yet I wonder....
The afternoon was spent just relaxing outside... I should have done the ironing or made the cushion covers for the boys bedroom... tomorrow is another day!
We came inside late afternoon into the cool of the dining room and had a game of scrabble... first one for a while... I won...🎉🎉😃 now I’m only 9 games down...
We had bbq’d chicken for dinner with the rest of all yesterday’s salads and we finished off the dessert..
I watered all the new and delicate plants... can’t believe how some have just come out since yesterday.. the red peonies, the smoke bush and the broad beans are half way up the canes... sadly the grass seems to grow quickly too...
Sat out for a while but the combination of the motor bikes, a dog barking and our neighbour STILL going to her bin every few minutes we came inside!
Watched bit of tv and now an early night! 
Hope everyone has had fine sunny weather too...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday 1st June
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Caroline, you're a star! ⭐  ;D You certainly have more interesting things in your day than I have.
Your friends obviously love coming to your house, great to enjoy the sunshine with them. Hope your friend M is well enough to leave hospital.
Don't feel guilty about relaxing rather than sewing etc, you deserve a rest after all the work you've been doing.

My day:

Hadn't been able to get to sleep on Monday night, too much sitting around during the day. I was awake till 3am, woke to another lovely sunny day with a cold wind coming off the sea. Usual morning walk then home to cut the back lawn, the garden looked so much tidier with it done. Inside for some lunch then back out in the garden. Tidied up around my potting bench, there were a few pots where the unidentifiable contents hadn't grown so I put the remains in the garden bin and emptied the compost onto the soil. Interspersed the gardening with reading a new book.

Went to meet my friend J for our weekly walk, I'd warned her that there was a cold wind. It was pleasant as we walked down the lane to the coast road, when we got near the sea we could feel the wind, I put my hoodie on that I'd tied round my waist.  I certainly needed it as we walked further along the coast road, the wind was strong and we were glad to turn off through some woods. When we emerged from the woods we were taking layers off, it was much warmer away from the sea.

I really enjoyed the walk, always good to get together and have a chat. Felt very tired so had an early bath and into bed to read. Started a new paperback for my bathtime reading, The Marriage Certificate by Stephen Molyneux, it's a genealogical mystery, seems okay so far. Much better than the paperback I've just finished, that was utter rubbish and so disappointing from an author whose books I've previously read and enjoyed. So that's two new books I've started in one day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
Sounds like most everywhere in England had gorgeous sunshine yesterday, which makes meeting up with friends so much more pleasant.
I had slept well after a fairly energetic outdoor dance practise on Monday evening, and it was so nice to wake up to clear blue skies.
Made an early swoop on the supermarket to sort out the week's groceries, and driving home I found the pharmacy was open earlier than I anticipated, so I could pick up my monthly medication supply on my way past.
Later I wandered down to the coffee shop at the library for a group meeting.  6 of us sat in the sun and nattered away. We made plans to visit the velo park next week and find out if we can still ride a bike!
I had intended to walk home via the sea front, but realised that the town and grockle area was packed with summer visitors, so I back tracked and scurried up through the side streets instead.
After lunch I sat on the balcony reading while H was tutoring, and then once the beach area had cleared somewhat, we enjoyed a stroll in the evening sun.
And for those who wonder if I ever do any house work, I tackled the ironing after that, as it was cooler once the sun was low on the horizon.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
What's a grockle area MH?  ???
I was hoping you were going to tell us that H does the housework.  ;D What a difference the sunshine makes, sounds like a lovely day. Apart from the ironing.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
What's a grockle area MH?  ???
I was hoping you were going to tell us that H does the housework.  ;D What a difference the sunshine makes, sounds like a lovely day. Apart from the ironing.

We do share the housework, but l see more that needs attention than H does.
The locals call holiday makers "grockels".
(I need to have 2 more generations before l can become a local.) ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 23:19 BST (UK) »
Ah I see, and there was I thinking it was some geographical feature.  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham