Author Topic: Which company best for Aunt/Niece test  (Read 594 times)

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which company best for Aunt/Niece test
« on: Wednesday 02 June 21 10:25 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Rootchatters l need advise, having taken Myhertiage dna l found a distant link 3rd-5th cousin.
We were excited as the link could be my alleged father (now dead). So 3rd-5th tested her mother and grandmother just to be sure. When the results arrived shock nothing matched.
The grandmother is sister of alleged father so to my mind and theirs she should be my Aunt.
I have tested with Ancesty & uploaded to Livingdna a while ago but haven't had a link to my paternal side. We were all disappointed but lv accepted it maybe a coincidence and that l matched 3rd-5th  via her paternal line. Headache or what now another of my potential Aunts wants Us to do a British DNA one to one. Is it possible to do this? l don't want to clutch at straws but at the same time l was the one who got the ball rolling.
Please can anyone offer thoughts on this issue
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Which company best for Aunt/Niece test
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 13:54 BST (UK) »
Ancestry tests show up aunts + nephew/ neice as being  o the "close relative to first cousin range " for me + cousins as being on " first to second cousin range . Same for half cousins
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 16:40 BST (UK) »
What might help for starters is if you could say how many cMs you and the 3rd - 5th cousin share.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there many thanks for your replies- my 3/5 cousin is shared dna 31.7cms
Shared segment 2 largest 22cm.
Having looked at dna painted l think it would be 4x Aunt or Uncle.

I assumed the Aunt who tested would have shown up but didnt. The second wants to test with another company but am l correct in thinking that it should have show up on Myheritage ?
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 21:04 BST (UK) »
I think what the problem is, is that the connection is too far back and and that possibly none or very little of the DNA was passed down to record (other lines took precedence). In short i think you need more and different matches as there is not enough information with the one you have to make any conclusions.

Does that sound reasonable?

(My rational for the above is i have closer proven matches with less DNA matching than your 31cM)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
If you can persuade the supposed Aunt to upload her DNA to GEDmatch and you do the same, you can try a one to one comparison at the default settings, and also by lowering the minimum segment size to be included in matching. It may help determine whether there is any possibility or none at all and you can see the results in much more detail than Ancestry give you.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire