Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 2nd June  (Read 964 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 2nd June
« on: Thursday 03 June 21 00:07 BST (UK) »
Another bright day, spent a while in the morning having a chat with a friend on the phone. She has stretched her wings a bit further than I have since restrictions were eased but like many of us is still wary of widening our boundaries in some respects. Was good to catch up.
I had asked another friend this week about how she thought things would be if and when the government's plans after 21st June go ahead. She said she thought that a lot of people would still want to wear masks and maintain social distancing but that the young people would go back to their social lives as they were pre pandemic. Time will tell.

After lunch I went to buy some more compost from the nurseries, had a look at the plants of course but there had obviously been a big run on them over the bank holiday weekend, very few left in the greenhouse.
When I got home I went straight out for my walk, the vegetation is growing so close down the narrow path that there's hardly room to get through in some places.
Spent some time in the garden after that, the lettuces I'd planted in a pot are growing well and I wanted to plant some more. Emptied a trough, refilled with new compost and sowed the seeds. The copper tape I had wasn't long enough to go right round the container so I sent for some more. Around 4pm it became overcast, it was that misty stuff rolling in from the sea.

Watched the Sewing Bee, the presenter gets on my nerves more every week, prancing around. The judges didn't remark in the first round about the fact that the waistband on one of the dresses didn't meet at the back, they only mentioned the zip. Sorry to see the losing contestant go but not surprised after this week's work.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 2nd June
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 21 00:58 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, glad to hear your garden is coming along. It’s always good to hear others’ views of things, isn’t it, happy you had a good chat with your friend.
I was very tired and out of sorts yesterday, don’t know why as I’d had enough sleep.  With the weather constantly changing here, that might be the reason.  I ran into some tech issues re my new laptop, which I always use attached to a monitor.  My old monitor would not work with it, so I tried to order a new one.  The local branch of a store was wanting me to jump through hoops so this morning OH ordered one in my name from a large chain office supply store.  Great customer service!  Within 45 minutes they emailed and said it was ready for pickup, curb side.  The two young people who I dealt with there were polite, pleasant, and efficient.  The whole thing was done in about 10 minutes.
I will try it out tomorrow, it certainly looks great, and has a very easy adjustable stand.  I had bought my laptop from the other store but I probably won’t shop there again.
On the way there we tried to get some more red mulch at a local grocery store but due to the line up waited until the trip back, OH walked right in and out and loaded it from the outside where they had it stacked.  Nobody was checking, but he’s honest!  A couple of days ago the dog must have got into some of the mulch as he had a decidedly pink area under his chin. Very fetching!
Had a good phone chat with a friend yesterday, she was still shook up after a minor traffic accident,  quite a lot of damage to her car, but she’s okay and not liable at all.  She said it happened so fast she hardly knew what happened.
We had six male mallard ducks in the backyard yesterday morning and six again tonight.  They are gobbling up the seed under the feeder.  At one point they all waddled over to the patio and I took a picture of them through the little window on our basement steps that is level to the patio.  The one that was looking right at me has a noticeable limp, maybe the rest are his protectors!
The Ontario government has decided no more in school classes for this school year.  The kids will be back first week of September.
Hope everyone is keeping well.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 June 21 07:58 BST (UK) »
Roobarb- I’m intrigued as to what the copper tape round the pots are for.... keeping slugs at bay? If so does it work?
It’s amazing how with the rain and now the warmth how greenery just seems to have exploded in front of our eyes!
Always good to catch up and share views... I think you’re probably right about the younger generation! No fear unlike the rest of us who have some trepidation!

Diana - sorry to hear you were feeling out of sorts... this constant change in temperature plays havoc with your system! Hope you’re feeling better now.
How frustrating for you trying to place your order... glad to hear your O.H sorted it so quickly for you.
Sorry to hear your friend was so shaken... at least she’s not badly injured.
Love the details of the mallards!

Once again up to a bright blue sky and warmth... OH off to play golf... think he’s going to find it very hot out there!
Noticed the BT engineer in next doors drive so OH went to have a word as we’re expecting a visit today too as our broadband has been a bit flakey over this past couple of weeks and several calls to Sky! He’s going to check it’s not the squirrels again chewing the wires!
I hung around waiting for him to get to us... eventually went out to ask him if I’d got time to shower and pop to the shop... he said his visit to us wasn’t until between 1-6pm... seems daft when he’s next door! Oh well got on with my morning...
Spoke to a friend for a while nice to catch up... had to cut the call short as had frantic message then call from my daughter...all regarding their close friend who is in a hospice with very short time left so she’d done exactly what she didn’t want and jumped on the tube and then train to get down to see him.... difficult times and she’s not experienced anything like this before.... sadly he’s only in his early 40’s...
Decided I’d better make the two cushion covers with rest of zebra print fabric... brought machines down to the kitchen to make sure I’d hear the door if BT man appeared and was also waiting for Tesco delivery.
OH arrived home hot and tired then Tesco delivery arrived... just after BT man... felt like Clapham Junction! Apparently they’ve discovered a kink in the cables and going to need sorting... wonder how when they’re under ground it can just suddenly happen... ah well they’re the engineers not me!
Finished off the ironing and cooked a ham joint which we had with new pots and salad..
Getting organised for daughter and grandsons visit tomorrow....
Watched sewing Bee... to me there is a clear winner.... be interesting to see if it ends up who I think! Some nice outfits... horrible fabrics to work on but some good jobs made.. not sure right person won garment of the week but sadly the person who left was right ...
Retired fairly early as need to be up early...

Hope everyone else is enjoying the weather...
Not heard from Viktoria for a few days hope all is well.....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 21 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hope you're feeling more rested today Diana, you certainly seem to go from summer to winter very quickly there. I wonder if that's typical or just this year.
Amazing how one company can sort out your monitor so quickly and efficiently while the other one just messed you about. Their loss! Lovely to be able to watch the ducks at such close quarters, maybe you'll be giving them names soon!

Caroline, yes the copper tape apparently gives the slugs a slight shock if they crawl on it so they go no further. The reviews recommend it and my lettuce seems fine so far so it's looking like they're right.
Such sad news about your daughter's friend, I hope her visit to you helps her to deal with that. Deliveries and BT all at the same time, enough to drive you mad!

I too think there's a clear winner of Sewing Bee, I hope the judges look for great sewing which is what it's supposed to be about after all. Patrick seems to do that but Esme seems to be distracted by design and such things as whether the garment has pockets!

Yes, I hope Viktoria is okay too.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 June 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all
My excitement was my second jab on Wednesday.  Lovely friendly folk and this time they even told me their names. So much easier this time when you know where to go and what to do. No reaction so far and even my arm doesn’t hurt as much as last time and that was quite mild.
I’ve been enjoying sewing bee too, though I still think that someone who every week ( I think) does not complete a garment, shouldn’t still be in, even if on another challenge they do something stunning. I agree there’s a standout sewer and their hand knitted jumper which they wore one week was stunning IMO. ( looked like a honeycomb)
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 June 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear you got your jab Candleflame and no adverse effects. 

I couldn't remember the jumper you mention, after extensive Googling I found it! We're in agreement there.  :)

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 June 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
Helloooo!
It is I ,Viktoria.
Thanks for your thoughts,all is going along well .
Just fitting in the drops ,all 22 times a day!
That will lessen ,as I can stop using some in a few weeks.
A huge Ash tree ( grrrrrr- Ash keys rooting everywhere !) is a great perch for so many birds,such lovely song ,I can’t identify many but a joy to hear.

Kind ex pupil neighbour took me to local Farm  shop/ plant  nursery for plants for next door neighbour’s Birthday present from me ,her containers in her front  garden to be all planted up.The “ garden “ is completely flagged over!
She is 94 on June 6 th.I will tackle the planting tomorrow.New soil etc.
The little girls chose some plants for their garden ,just my treat to say thanks for the offer and the lift.
Had a meeting with a magnificent dog today ,over my back gate.
A long haired Alsatian,just eight months old but enormous.
Still mouthing like a puppy but with his adult teeth.
He is going to need very skilful handling as he is so headstrong , doesn’t like not having his own way!

Still enjoying the visit of Flash Harry and parents in my mind.
Hope I can visit before too long , he will be at Nanny’s ( my daughter’s) a couple of times in July and August ,so perhaps in August.

Had my hip XRay, results will go to my GP,but I imagine if anything wrong they would have said .
I was told I ought to have called A&E when it happened  six or seven weeks ago ,but as I said to the young child who put me on the stretcher ,my generation don’t call A&E when we have broken a nail!
Cheeky little urchin!

Have any of you watched Anne Boleyn, ?
I could not think of the actress playing her as Anne, I believe she is good in the part.
I have not watched after the first bit of the first programme.

Now!The Sewing Bee, oh dear such inconsistency in the criticisms ,what is criticised on one garment is overlooked in another.
Not fair at all.
That daft thing the presenter was wearing.!
What is his purpose?
Oh I am getting a crosspatch - pun incidental.

Wore some summer clothes yesterday,Wow!
Can hardly remember the last time.

My perennial Sweet Pea  plant is a triffid !has taken over my patio!
Not in flower yet. But the insects love it.
There was one in the school playing field at the school where I worked  and kind neighbour was a pupil.
I gave gave her  some seeds and hers is coming along nicely ,she too remembers the one at school.

Well drop time again ,my timer has bleeped.
So cheerio ,look after yourself and thanks for the news .
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 June 21 23:08 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you Viktoria and pleased that you're doing well. Very kind of you to buy the plants for your neighbour and even put them in containers for her, it'll be lovely for her to look at.
Hope all is okay with your hip, the cheeky little urchin was right that you should have had it checked out!
I haven't watched Anne Boleyn, I know the TV companies like to be inclusive but I don't think that should extend to portraying a real person from history as someone they weren't, the talents of the actress should have been used elsewhere.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham