Author Topic: 1574 Latin (?) probate record - will of John Palmer of Charlton Wantage  (Read 231 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all, I'm looking at the will of John Palmer of Charlton, Wantage, Berkshire, dated 1564 which I think was given probate in 1574. The will itself is in English and I can (slowly) decipher it, but the section at the end is in Latin I think. I've attached this section and wondered whether anyone might be able to tell me what it says.

If it helps, John Palmer married Jone and had at least the following children in Wantage parish:
1. Johone 1546
2. John 1548
3. Sybill 1551-1561
4. Bridget 1553
5&6. Margery & Jone 1556

Many thanks if anyone can assist.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1574 Latin (?) probate record - will of John Palmer of Charlton Wantage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 21 12:25 BST (UK) »
Probatu(m) fuit testamentu(m) sup(er)scriptu(m) Johannis Palmer defunct(i) nup(er) p(ar)och(ie)

de Wantinge Jur(isdictio)nis peculiaris venerabil(ium) viro(rum) domino(rum) decani et cap(itu)l(i)

libere Capelle de Wyndso(u)r cora(m) mag(ist)ro Joh(ann)e James in legibus baccall(aureo)

Offi(cia)li peculiaris Jur(isdictio)nis de Wantinge p(re)dict(o) l(egi)time deputat(o) xvjo die

mens(is) Junij Anno D(omi)ni Mill(esi)mo Quingen(tesi)mo Septuagesimo quarto Ac p(er) ip(su)m

approbat(um) &c Commiss(a)q(ue) fuit &c Executorib(us) &c iurat(is) &c Salvo Jure

cuiuscu(m)q(ue) &c

The above-written will of John Palmer, deceased, lately of the parish of Wantage in the Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Worshipful Lords the Dean and Chapter of the free chapel of Windsor, was proved before Master John James, Bachelor of Laws, the lawfully appointed officer of the Peculiar Jurisdiction for Wantage aforesaid, on the 16th day of the month of June in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred and seventy four, and was approved etc., and [administration] was granted etc. to the executors etc., who were sworn etc., saving the rights of anyone who etc.

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1574 Latin (?) probate record - will of John Palmer of Charlton Wantage
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 June 21 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox, that is really appreciated!