Author Topic: Thomas Goss 1762  (Read 444 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Goss 1762
« on: Thursday 03 June 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thomas  1762 Chatham, Kent
and Theodosia Goss 1756 Gillingham, Kent
 were my 5grt grandparents, they were both born in the Medway towns, Kent. but they left for Bedminster, Somerset in around 1804, their son James was baptized in Uphill Somerset in 1804. Has anyone any ideas why they should move to Somerset please? They has no relatives there as I can tell and the only reason I can think of is work.

Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Goss 1762
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 21 15:14 BST (UK) »
What was his occupation?

Are you sure there were no relatives in Uphill? There are Goss marriages, baptisms and burials there before 1804.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 June 21 15:17 BST (UK) »
dont know his occupation, and havent found any connection to the Goss's already in Somerset
Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 21 18:12 BST (UK) »
The Wikipedia article tells us there were 18 coalfields being exploited in the Bedminster area in the early 19th century and also the New Cut was dug to improve shipping possibilities. Your ancestor could well have gone there for the work possibilities - and possibly also because he already had relatives there to help house him.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen