Author Topic: University Street, London - Is it now the A501?  (Read 849 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: University Street, London - Is it now the A501?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 June 21 13:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Gadget, for these replies.

This morning everything has come crashing down again. There are emails from GRO saying they cannot process my order due to a technical glitch and from WorldPay refunding my payment to the credit card. This lass is still leading me a merry dance. And... thanks to our blankety-blank!!! "Amber Alert" system (which no one's phone can opt out of) , , I'm too sleep-deprived this morning to even figure out what to do next

Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: University Street, London - Is it now the A501?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hurrah! and Despair!

Hurrah! because the death certificate arrived today, and yes, without any doubt, this is our lass.

Despair! because there are still so many questions.

She died at 11 Drummond Street which seems to be in the same area as where she was enumerated in the 1871 Census.

There was an inquest on 30 January, 1879 conducted by William Hardwicke, the coroner for Middlesex at which her death "From Shock and Collapse from burns on body from Clothes taking Fire" was adjudged "Accidental". Ouch!!! What a horribly painful way to die.

Now what? I've searched for Coroners' Reports in archives and the newspapers at FindMyPast using every combination of search terms I can come up with, but no joy.

Has anyone any idea of where she could have been buried? She was widowed and alone and poor, living far from home (South Shields). That suggests an unmarked pauper's grave, doesn't it? But aren't there any records?

Cheers,
Westoe