Author Topic: Chivers on here from Newbury  (Read 848 times)

Offline Havana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chivers on here from Newbury
« on: Thursday 03 June 21 18:18 BST (UK) »
Long story short, my Grandad, was born at Ivy House Maternity home in the 1940s. His mum Joyce did not put the father on the birth certificate, and despite my questions, none of us seems to know much about my grandad's father, or the Chivers family in general.

I was wondering if there are any Chivers on here from Newbury (UK), who may be able to help me learn more about the family? and if they had heard any rumours about Joyce who seems like an enigma! Furthermore, my mother tells me that there is a possibility that the Chivers are connected to Gypsies, but I can't find anything on this matter, and it seems they were chain makers?

It's been very hard for me to find a connection to living relatives on this side as the line goes dead, and it'd be nice to know if I have any cousins out there too.

I believe (and I may be wrong), the family line is: John L Chivers, son of Joyce Chivers (1916). Joyce is the daughter of George Chivers and Mary Young**

** Grandparents of Joyce are George Chivers and Elizabeth Lipscombe. All from the Newbury / Hackney areas.

Thank you for any help!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chivers on here from Newbury
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 21 19:45 BST (UK) »
Joyce Mary Chivers was born 1916, daughter of George William Chivers and Mary Young (married 1915).

It is George William Chivers (b.1890) who was the son of George Chivers and Eliza Lipscombe.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 June 21 20:26 BST (UK) »
The 1901 Census (on FamilySearch) has the CHIVERS family in Newbury:
George, head, 33, baker journeyman, born Newbury
Eliza, wife, 36, born Newbury
George, son, 11, born Newbury
Gertrude M, 9, daughter, born Newbury
Frank, 6, son, born Newbury
John, 4, son, born Newbury
Margaret E, daughter, 1, born Newbury

On the 1911 Census (on FamilySearch), in Christchurch Hampshire there are:
Eliza BREWER, head, 61, widow, born Lower Beeding, Sussex
Thomas BREWER, son, 20, single, nurseryman's assistant, born Christchurch Hampshire
George William CHIVERS, boarder, 21, single, journeyman baker - bread, born Newbury Berkshire

I haven't checked BMDs or the 1911 Census for siblings of George William, but he was the eldest of at least five children of George and Eliza, and he followed his father's trade.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vulpesvulpes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 21 20:52 BST (UK) »
My pardon, but I stumbled on here due to a random google search. There cannot have been too many Joyce Chivers with a son called John L Chivers in Newbury. As my father was (is?  - not sure if he is even still alive) called John L Chivers, there is a possibility that we are related. I do not have much information about the Chivers side of the family, if we are, indeed, related, but I will help if I can.

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 August 21 19:23 BST (UK) »
George and Elizabeth Chivers are buried in the Newtown Road Cemetery Newbury, the following links will take you to their History/Biographies:

http://www.fnrcnewbury.org.uk/biography.asp?BiogID=646&PersonID=1175

http://www.fnrcnewbury.org.uk/biography.asp?BiogID=442&PersonID=6717

There's a book "A Newbury Family" by Frances M Berry about the Chivers/Lipscombe family which you might find interesting

Link to the Newtown Road Cemetery burials, lots of Chivers/Lipscomb(e) burials, might be worth a look!

http://www.fnrcnewbury.org.uk/burials.asp