Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 3rd June  (Read 894 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 3rd June
« on: Thursday 03 June 21 22:57 BST (UK) »
Just the usual sort of day for me. Morning walk, it was cool and cloudy but still good to be out. Returned home and did some preparation for art class tomorrow. Booked another Tesco delivery.

When I started reading my current paperback I saw that although the book was in very good condition for a secondhand book, someone had underlined the names of the characters in pencil and as the book went on I found that there were also other parts underlined which seemed irrelevant. It was quite annoying so I'd decided to erase them and started to do so today. It was much worse than I thought, on every page there were words underlined or circled, arrows next to paragraphs, references to further pages and comments. One of those said 'The villain of the story!' Luckily I managed to erase that before seeing who it referred to. The culprit had also written their own synopsis on the blank sheet at the back of the book.  This had been a library book, I don't know whether all this had been done at that stage or later. It was taking me ages to erase it, I still haven't finished and I was getting progressively more annoyed. I then contacted the seller who quickly responded with an apology, they said I could return it for a full refund or I could opt for a 50% refund. I'd done so much work on it and was enjoying the story so I chose the latter. It doesn't amount to much but it's the principle.

The sun started getting out mid afternoon, I was feeling lethargic and quite tired but after reading for a while I did some weeding and sorted out all the empty pots I have stored. Moved the sea holly plants I've grown from seed into larger pots, I'll plant them in the garden when they're bigger.

Same evening as always.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 3rd June
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 June 21 23:44 BST (UK) »
Oooooh ! Writing in books!
Cardinal sin!
I wonder if it had been the copy of a member of a book club ,they had highlighted names and points etc?

We had a very old dictionary at home and many words were blacked out by some previous owner.
Pregnant ,womb etc etc etc , you will wonder how I knew the blacked out words but we had other dictionaries , so the words were there.
We did not hide the legs on the piano though ,actually that was not false modesty but to protect the legs from damage !

I am looking forward to getting to the library again.
 Goodnight.
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 June 21 07:54 BST (UK) »
I hate the cavalier way some people use books; for some inexplicable reason they find it acceptable to make a "secret" mark so they can check easily if they have read it before or not.
I must admit I sometimes pencil in MY OWN reading property, but never in a library book.
But you are such a tease Roobarb... you never give details when you say you have an enjoyable book! ;)
I spent the bulk of my day volunteering for the National Trust.
Glorious sunshine outside, freezing cold inside, where I had to be.
Came out with a tension back ache..... not looking good!
Took an evening walk once the crowds had dispersed, and bumped into a resident of the complex, who doesn't have great health, walking the dog.
Her husband is confined to barracks for a month as he is waiting to see a consultant, and she is worn out.
Of course I offered to help with shopping or whatever, and she persuaded me to take the dog.
Well, (not unreasonably I suppose,) the dog flatly refused to carry on walking, and when I gave in and turned around she ran all the way back to the flats, with me charging along behind!
Don't think I will try that again!  :P
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 June 21 08:08 BST (UK) »
The writing in the book incident reminds me of when my son was studying Of Mice and Men for GCSE English.  I wasn’t familiar with the story so we watched the film together. I remarked that I didn’t expect that ending, he said oh I did a previous pupil had written “George shoots Lennie” inside the front cover of his copy of the book!

When I mentioned this to his older sister she said she wished she’d thought of that.  Where did I go wrong  ::)

She does know better really.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 June 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry MH, I didn't realise I was doing that! I'd referred to it the other day, it's The Marriage Certificate by Stephen Molyneux, it's a genealogical mystery. The opening line of the book is 'Peter had spotted the marriage certificate.' The culprit had written ''Sefton ' above the word Peter. Yes, the character was called Peter Sefton but even if we hadn't made ourselves aware of that it became evident very shortly after. It just seems a ridiculous thing to do. Pre pandemic I used to buy withdrawn books from the library but I wouldn't dream of writing in them. At first I wondered if they'd been trying to solve the mystery as they went on but some of it seems totally random. Another mystery!
Did your son pass his GCSE Pinetree?  ;D

You're very dedicated with your National Trust work MH. Reminds me of when I used to work on the elections, sitting down in a room with the door open from 7am to 10pm. People used to come in and say how lovely it was outside, we were freezing! I once did it in a Portakabin, that wasn't a pleasant experience. Well done for sticking it out and your kindness in attempting to walk the dog too!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 June 21 10:03 BST (UK) »
He did Roobarb  ;).  He’s currently sitting in the dining room doing one of his final exams for his degree. Another example of the strange times we are living in.

Although I have not contributed to the diary before I have enjoyed following everyone’s posts and love the way you are all so supportive of each other.

Imagining how lovely people’s gardens must look and the wonderful scenery on your walks has been very therapeutic. So thank you all for your efforts in posting.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 June 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
Pleased that you've enjoyed the diary threads Pinetree, they've been a Godsend to me during some really difficult times. Hope your son does well in his degree.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 June 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
A little bit busier this week.   Collected some outfits I'd ordered for the twins and was hurriedly completing 2 little bolero jackets I'd knitted (finally finished at 1am this morning).  I'd also ordered 2 items to help with teething (cheeky chompers) which were delivered by Hermes at 2pm, just in time for a visit to see the girls in the afternoon.   Long cuddles with each of them.  Another lovely day although interspersed with cloud at times which was a nice relief.   Jo now trying them out with some baby food.  Love porridge and another I can't remember.   Whilst there she tried with spinach - one liked, the other one didn't.  So lovely to see them.

Cleaned windows on Wednesday, washed and re-hung nets.   Today 2 lots of washing so definitely been a bit more active this week.

Just had a whatsapp from my niece with photos of the girls with their cheeky chompers!   Captioned 'they're a hit' as both chewing away.

Currently waiting for ASDA delivery and this afternoon off to my nephews to see his 4 girls.   Much cloudier this morning and currently light rain which was predicted.   Next few days a continuation of the sunny weather.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 June 21 15:46 BST (UK) »
No Annette, no continuation of good weather for us, rained none stop since 8am, all my fault, my water butt is empty and I wanted it to rain, but at night!!!

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London