Author Topic: Help with Latin translation  (Read 224 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with Latin translation
« on: Friday 04 June 21 01:47 BST (UK) »
Could somebody help me with a translation of the attached image (also to be found here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DR99-V1J?i=1135&cat=416138 )?

This is from a Manor Court Roll, and the later entry in English has the end of this description from the second half of the 4th line as (after I've abstracted it slightly) as:

"and the Way or Meer being the Procession Way between the Towns of Great Melton and Hethersett West"

I'm not so good on Latin, but from what I can make out it is:

"et viam vel ?metain Anglie Meer existens viam processional inter Villas de Melton magna praedictus et Hethersett ?Isus Occident"

I'm most interested in the reference to "Anglie Meer" as perhaps this refers to a very early route way.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin translation
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 June 21 00:23 BST (UK) »
                                                                                                  ... Unde

Prima pecia continens p(er) Estimac(i)on(em) Dimidium Acre jacet

int(er) Terr(am) nup(er) p(re)dic(ti) Joh(ann)is Read tam exe(untem) Borealem quam

Australem et abuttan(tem) sup(er) viam d(omi)ni eu(ntem) a Melton magna usq(ue)

ad Melton parvam v(er)sus Orien(tem) et viam vel metam

Anglice Meer [ex(ist)en(tem)?] viam processional(em) int(er) Villas de

Melton magna p(re)d(icta) et Hethersett v(er)sus Occiden(tem) ...

Of which the first piece, containing by estimation half an acre, lies between the land that was lately of the aforesaid John Read both on the north and on the south, and abutting onto the lord’s road going from Great Melton to Little Melton towards the east, and the road or boundary – in English, ‘Meer’ – being the processional way between the towns of Great Magna aforesaid and Hethersett towards the west

Note - I’m unsure exactly what ‘Meer’ is, but it may be a place-name, or a topographical feature (mere?). The preceding word Anglice means ‘in English’ and is often used to highlight English words or names that are interpolated in a Latin text.

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin translation
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 21 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Bookbox.

I've come across Anglice a few more times now when Willa are being quoted. That makes a lot more sense.

I think "Meer" is an archaic spelling of "mere" which is a pond or swampy place.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham