Author Topic: Sampson/Joshua Archer of Co. Tyrone/Co. Armagh, N. Ireland  (Read 396 times)

Offline burninglights

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sampson/Joshua Archer of Co. Tyrone/Co. Armagh, N. Ireland
« on: Friday 04 June 21 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for information about any Archers from County Tyrone and/or County Armagh around the time of the Ulster settlement of ~1610 to about 1725.

I have a record of a Joshua Archer of Tullygarden, Kilmore, Co. Armagh leasing land to a tenet in 1697. A bit further back, in 1660, there is a William Archer listed as a land owner in Tullygarden. He reportedly died by 1676, at which point his son Cornet inherited the land. I do not know the relation between William/Cornet and Joshua Archer, but I assume it would be a close one.

There is also a Sampson Archer from County Tyrone, about 50-60 miles northwest, who immigrated to America around 1718-1730, as well as another Sampson Archer who remained in County Tyrone and died there in 1754. I assume these Sampsons are related, and that they are also related to Joshua Archer from Armagh, because Sampson Archer the immigrant to America had a son named Joshua (as did one of his sisters), but have not been able to find a connection.

There was at least one additional Sampson Archer alive around this time in Gloucester, England; he was an innkeeper until his death in 1723, and I have also found records of at least two different Joshua Archers in Garrigill, England in the 1700s. Given that the names Joshua and Sampson were not terribly common at this time, it may be that all of these men are connected in some way, but I have been unsuccessful in finding a link. Any help would be appreciated!