Author Topic: George Taylor 1799 Stainland/Soyland  (Read 417 times)

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Taylor 1799 Stainland/Soyland
« on: Friday 04 June 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Whilst looking on FindMyPast I've come across a very strange flatstone inscription at Stones Methodist Chapel Soyland for my ancestor George Taylor of Soyland born 1799 died July 1835 aged 36 years and 5 months husband of Alice Taylor who died in 1864. I have never found a birth for George, his birth should be early 1799 the nearest I can find is George born to Joseph in Stainland bapt Dec 1799 St Andrew Stainland, which would seem a long time to leave from birth to bapt. There is also a reference to Nanny Wild buried 1870 aged 83 and Sarah Crawshaw, I've no idea who they are, never come across them in my research, has the person transcribing added several separate stones as one inscription I am very confused

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: George Taylor 1799 Stainland/Soyland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 June 21 17:14 BST (UK) »
Maybe you need to query it with Calderdale Family History Society who apparently transcribed the inscriptions.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 June 21 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Had a look on their website it costs £10 to buy the relevant cd after searching George's inscription, I can't see a way to ask for more information without subscribing for a membership and paying for the cd unfortunately.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 June 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
Nanny WILD death registered Dec qtr 1870 Halifax vol 9a p370 age 83

There are two possibles on the 1851 census (on FamilySearch):
(1) Nanny WILD in Keighley, 65, bred baker, born Keighley, married to Robert WILD 66 stone mason; with two daughters and one granddaughter.
(2) Nanny WILD in Halifax RD, widow, 63, born Barkisland, housekeeper to William WARD farmer and his family.

The first one is on the 1841 census as Nancy WILD 55 with Robert 56 and family.

The second one is probably on the 1841 census in Halifax St James:  Ann WILD, 60, with James WILD, 60, Samuel WILD 30, also Sarah NICOLL 20 and Elizabeth NICOLL 1.

I have not yet found Nanny born Barkisland after 1851 - but Nanny can be an alternative to various first names.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 June 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip

Thanks for your reply Alice wife of George Taylor was born Alice Ward  her father was Joseph her grandfather was John so no connection to Nanny and William Wards family as far as I can see but thanks for all your help it’s much appreciated

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 June 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
Mention of Sarah Crawshaw is added as Notes on that transcript.  Nanny Wild however appears to be included amongst those mentioned on the memorial.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scruffypup

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 June 21 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

I think there could be a problem with OCR on this inscription it seems like several inscriptions are added together as there is even a reference to the Guinness Book of Records??? If George was 35 and 6 months not 36 and 5 months then it's likely his father is Joseph Taylor of Jagger Green who had a son George bapt St Andrews Stainland 9 Dec 1799, Joseph had another son Thomas bapt 23 April 1797  St Andrews Stainland, normally this would be a coincidence but Thomas and his wife Sally had a daughter Marianne/Mary Anne bapt 26 Dec 1824 the entry above on the same day is for Mary Anne daughter of George and Alice.