Author Topic: Afflecks in Ayr  (Read 1534 times)

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Afflecks in Ayr
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 June 21 13:16 BST (UK) »
I don't know if those dates are right for Ann, but I'll definitely look into it.
Ill be checking the earlier Kirk Sessions, there wasn't anything for Ann Affleck in 1828-32.
There is only one marriage that could rule out the 1784 baptism (not entirely sure though):
MCKENON, ANNE md HECTOR MCDONALD on 08/08/1814 Kilmarnock.
Our Anne was not married in 1822.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 June 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
Kilmarnock is a long way from Colmonell and Ballantrae. I know people moved around for work &c.

Information about places in Ayrshire www.ayrshireroots.co.uk/Towns/index.html
Some links don't work.
The page on Dailly includes remarks by 1841 census enumerator. The present Dailly was New Dailly. The original Daily is now Old Dailly.

When I saw the topic title I assumed it was about Affleck's furniture store in Ayr. 
Cowban

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 June 21 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Thank you for responding to the messages, apart from confirming that David McKinna who married Mary Drynan and the David McKinna who md Margaret Nichol were the same person (possibly through looking at the records on SP and seeing what residences David had for Hughs birth in 1790 and Thomas's in 1793 (each with different mothers), would there be any other way to confirm Ann's parents besides the strange gap between Hugh in 1790 and Margaret's marriage in 1785?

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 June 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
Would there be any other way to confirm Ann's parents besides the strange gap between Hugh in 1790 and Margaret's marriage in 1785?
Not really, that I can think of - unless the name Nichol comes up as a second name in Ann’s family or the following generations. In these cases you have to decide to make an assumption or not, based on the evidence you have.
Margaret Nicols parenrs were James Nicol and Elizabeth McNamnie - married 1760 Dailly.

ADDED. If Ann was the first born daughter, following traditional naming patterns, she would be named after her maternal grandmother.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline trekcuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 June 21 21:30 BST (UK) »
Yeah, then we get into problems. Could the David Mckinna married in 1785 be the MCKINNA, DAVID to WILLIAM MCKINNA/ANNE MCBROOM on 12/08/1758 in Straiton, Ayr? The David baptized in 1767 would be 18 at the time of marriage, but the 1758 David would be 27 in 1785, which fits way better. But, David 1767 being married first makes more sense as there arent any overlapping children in Ayr bap to a David Mck*n*a.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 March 22 15:10 GMT (UK) »
The original of the marriage of David McKinna and Margaret Nicol says that he was in Maybole. The original of the marriage of David McKenna and Mary Drynan says that he was from Ballantrae.

Also, as trekcuber has pointed out, David McKenna who was baptised on 23 June 1767 would have been only 17 on 9 January 1785 when Margaret Nicol was married - not impossible, of course, but it was unusual for a man to marry as young as 17.

Therefore I think it is very unlikely that these two marriages are the same David McK*nna.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.