Author Topic: Help with 1832 Poll Book please  (Read 363 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with 1832 Poll Book please
« on: Saturday 05 June 21 09:11 BST (UK) »
I’d appreciate help with understanding the attached excerpt from an 1832 Poll Book. The three right hand columns are headed EV, EL and L, and seem to be the initials of the three candidates, Evans, Ellis and Leigh. What do the dashes in these columns mean?

What do the abbreviations f, s and £ mean?

Does the word “jun” suggest a father-son relationship between the two Edward Bentleys?

Finally, does it look as if Edward and Edward jun were both connected with Belgrave and that Edward jun and William were both connected with Thurmaston? I assume that there was a William Bentley in Woodboy Street who was possibly unconnected to the Bentleys in the entries above. I think The Edwards and William of Thurmaston were probably from the same family because Thurmaston was a chapelry, and south Thurmaston used to be in Belgrave parish while north Thurmaston was in Barkby parish.)

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Help with 1832 Poll Book please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 June 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Where was this Poll for? If on line can you not go to the front of this section to see the explanation.

f usually means freeholder.

This explains, as you will see things were changed in 1832

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Poll_Books_in_England_and_Wales

If possible please post connection.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 21 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Belgrave gave me the clue you are looking at Leicester.

This is connection to 1832 Poll for Burgess, giving details of resident and none resident voters, you need to scroll to see these headings.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?redir_esc=y&id=rw0HAAAAQAAJ&q=Bentley%2C+Edward#v=snippet&q=Bentley%2C%20Edward&f=false

Spendlove

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Belgrave gave me the clue you are looking at Leicester.

This is connection to 1832 Poll for Burgess, giving details of resident and none resident voters, you need to scroll to see these headings.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?redir_esc=y&id=rw0HAAAAQAAJ&q=Bentley%2C+Edward#v=snippet&q=Bentley%2C%20Edward&f=false

Spendlove

Thanks. The google books link didn’t seem to take me to this book, but I found it through another link on an electoral registers website. The version of the book on google books is easier to understand than the version my excerpt came from, on FindMyPast, though the latter does contain the key to the abbreviations, f=Freeman, s=scot and lot, £= Ten Pound Occupier

There seem to be eight Bentleys. What I’m not sure about is whether the Edward Bentleys in Leicester and Thurmaston are actually different individuals. In 1835 two sons of William and Sarah Bentley accidentally drowned in a pond in Leicester. According to the inquest report Sarah had been working on her frame at the time, at an address in Leicester just off Belgrave Gate (and close to Wheat Street where Edward Bentley, framework knitter, lived in the 1832 poll book). William and Sarah had the boys buried in Thurmaston and this is where they had been baptised themselves, their children were baptised in the 1820’s and 1830’s, and where they are in the census of 1841, 1851 etc, framework knitters.

Dave :)

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 June 21 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry about connection try this

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_poll_for_electing_two_burgesses_to_r.html?id=rw0HAAAAQAAJ&redir_esc=y

When page opens enter Bentley in search box, you get two results pg 5 and 49. 
Click on pg 5, when page opens scroll to top of page “Resident Voters”. These are resident in the borough gives address and occupation.

Pg 49 gives voters who are not resident in borough and where they live.

Do not think you could vote twice, so assume they are different people.

Hope this helps.

Spendlove