Author Topic: Diary > Friday 4th June  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 4th June
« on: Saturday 05 June 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
I guess everyone is out enjoying the sunshine, this was my day on Friday:

A lovely day, the wind had changed direction and it felt much warmer when I went for my walk. Got  chatting to a woman who was walking a very small dog, we carried on our conversation as we walked around the perimeter of the field until she went on her way and I came home.

Art class in the afternoon, I started my painting of a lion in pan pastels after discussing colours with the teacher, I enjoyed doing it and my work was praised. The other members of the class were continuing with their flower paintings in watercolour, I was very impressed with them. Next week's class is a demo but the electricity board will be digging up cables next Friday in the village where the teacher lives which necessitates turning off the power. The teacher is therefore going to record the demonstration on the Thursday and send it to us to watch in our own time. That suits me, I won't be subjected to a couple of annoying people during the demo.
I had sent my portrait, hoping that the amendments I'd made were the end of it. No such luck, the teacher made some more suggestions, I'll do them but I have to admit I'm sick of looking at it.

At the end of the class we were talking about our usual summer get together of the class for lunch. There are quite a few who haven't taken part in the Zoom classes for various reasons, we're hoping that by the end of July we'll all be able to meet up.

The conversation went on about how we felt about the future, we were all in agreement that we would continue to wear masks in the supermarkets. People generally do seem to still be cautious. The prospects of foreign holidays are not looking promising, Portugal hasn't lasted long on the green list.

Closer to home, a dead whale was found on our beach a few days ago, very sad. Something much more cheerful was the photos of a pod of dolphins spotted just along the  coast here, not a common sight in the North Sea.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 4th June
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 June 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
Glad you had good weather, Roobarb.   Not so here.   Really cloudy in the morning and by the time my Asda delivery arrived around 1pm it was pouring and continued thus for most of the day.   Only good thing was it meant pot watering wasn't needed.

Around the time the rain started I got a headache - got steadily worse, took some tablets, lay down for a while but it didn't shift and pretty much wiped me out for the rest of the day.   Had to cancel a visit to my nephew to see his girls which was a bummer.

Apart from putting my shopping away I literally did nothing for the rest of the day.

After a late meal my headache finally disappeared just before I went to bed.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 21 12:53 BST (UK) »
Morning was grandchildren sitting while middle one had his swimming lesson. New rules say mum can’t take the other two with her anymore to watch, not even the new baby. Then the other grandma does the 4pm oldest swim lesson cover , as again the siblings can’t go. Def penalises those who don’t have family support. Parent or someone has to be there though and of course you can’t expect a nearly three year old and a 4 year old to fully get dried and dressed themselves. There’s no showers allowed either which is a pain. 4 year old could manage the drying and dressing but not the nearly 3 year old yet.
Eldest is 4 and swam a whole width on his back yesterday without any floats or armbands or anything. He’s been going swimming since he was 15 weeks and loves it. Mind you he can also ride a two wheeler bike. He never had stabilisers - started on these new balance bikes and was away .
Afternoon we cut our hedges. Not the most favourite of tasks, but while we can still do it , we do.
Evening - nothing as we were both shattered!
North East of England

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 21 12:59 BST (UK) »
Whole day wasted as both feeling the effects of trying to do too much in the heat, previous couple of days. (We're moving a wall in the far end of the garden - should know we're too old to tackle those sort of jobs, but we still can't resist).
So sort of sat about, looking for shady spots, didn't want to eat or anything - and off to bed very early, with fan on timeswitch! I'd been hoping to fall asleep before it switched off!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 June 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear you were unwell Annette, could the heat in previous days have caused it?  Or not enough liquids? It's so easy to dehydrate without realising. Hope you're okay today whatever the cause. What a shame to miss the visit to family.

Candleflame, there are so many precautions being taken, we don't even realise if we're not involved in that sort of thing. On the positive side, I think it's great that children are taught to swim at such a young age, we went to lessons at school but it was actually senior school. Your grandson sounds like a brave little chap.  :)

Oh dear TY, you too.  :( Hope you're better today and you've managed to find somewhere shady to sit with a cold drink. Assuming of course that the weather is good today where you are.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 June 21 16:30 BST (UK) »
Fine, after a decent night's sleep (!) for once. Weather too hot again - must remember, we can't do now what we scampered through doing 30 years back! The cool drink (Pimms?) sounds a nice idea....
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 June 21 21:07 BST (UK) »
What a gorgeous day.
Got a good bit done just tidying up in the garden.
New parasol good but the old water filled base is not heavy enough for the new one.

Phoned son re was he well enough to bring my shopping but I was willing to do it myself ,he had been quite ill yesterday.
No ,he was not going to drive ,so I went myself and was OK, Taxi back and all lifted in and out and put at the door  for all for £2-50 plus tip
Phoned to say all had gone well ,but no answer , Mmmm I thought this does not bode well.
His wife phoned some tome later.
Sure enough he was in hospital at Blackburn, having ECG ,blood tests etc .
At least it seems to have galvanised Drs in to action ,more tests ,drugs adjustment and then a full assessment at Bolton where they live.
I got his B/day card today but sort of very uneasy, however he feels things are staring to get done now.

A house near the bus stop has got a little “ library “ in a big clear plastic box, free but  take any books borrowed back and take any you have finished with to add to the library,
I saw two by Gervase Phinn ,very funny light reading about school inspections etc.
He wrote about the dreaded SAT’s tests and told the story on a TV interview and this really did happen.
Struggling readers could have a reader, an adult.
One section on the paper was recognition of maths symbols,and shapes etc.
The reader had to word carefully ,give no clues ,one section had a square, triangle, rectangle,circle etc.
The reader would say “all these shapes have names ,can you tell me the name of this one, what do you call this shape?”pointing to say a triangle.
“ Well ,” said one girl at our school, “ I think I would call it Sharon.”
He recounted the same thing and many schools said it had happened in their year 2 classes.
Cleaned out the little pond yesterday, the gush are so healthy ,bright colours,just goldfish but pretty.
Ham joint for tomorrow, tender stem broccoli ,Jersey Royals, Ham ,tinned pineapple slices of course and parsley sauce or a concoction I make sort of sweet/ sour .
Well drops time again folks,again  ,thanks for your news ,babies ,dogs, ,painting, walks ,gardening etc.
Hope you all sleep well, it is very close here.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 June 21 21:50 BST (UK) »
Very sorry to hear that your son is in hospital Viktoria, I hope they soon manage to find out what's wrong with him.
Hope you're okay yourself, you certainly seem to have been getting back to it all.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 June 21 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb, Yes,I am tired but otherwise not bad at all.
Lots of kind things this week, across the lane the young Mum who was a pupil as was her husband ,took me to the garden centre, got the plants for lovely neighbour ‘s Birthday.
Containers all planted up.Fuchsias, Impatiens, trailing Lobelias .
All in pinky mauves and whites.
Fig tree really growing , perennial sweet pea is taking over!
So take care ,and thanks for all the news.
Goodnight.
Viktoria.