Author Topic: Owen Hughes - Hugh Hughes - Armagh - Coatbridge  (Read 2310 times)

Offline JessieJessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Hughes - Hugh Hughes - Armagh - Coatbridge
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 June 21 22:57 BST (UK) »
In response to some questions and suggestions...
I have now viewed 1911 census for Owen Hughes, M, boarder, age 20, 652/2 18/10, a tube worker in Coatdyke, Coatbridge, Scotland, and he lived with William Lennon (head) and others from Ireland at 523 Main St.  Owen's age seems off compared to my grandfather but perhaps it was a recording error or one to make him more employable.

The valuation roll in 1914 for James Hughes (a cousin perhaps?)  has him as a tenant in Airdrie at 43 Kippen St.  My grandfather Owen Hughes's marriage license (known to definitely be his) states that his address was 44 Kippen St. so there seems to be a definite connection.

I have never used valuation rolls before.  Thanks for leading me there SCOTMUM.  These, no doubt, are my grandparents: HUGHES, OWEN, Tenant Occupier HOUSE 16/I/1 EAST STEWART STREET, OLD MONKLAND, 1920 and Jessie was still there in 1925: HUGHES  JESSIE  Tenant Occupier    HOUSE 16I/1 EAST STEWART STREET    OLD MONKLAND   1925

The mention of James Hughes by MonicaL has me curious about a connection between him and my grandparents, but I could not figure it out based on the tree with link that was mentioned.  I did download his marriage register which mentions his E Stewart St. Coatbridge address that my grandMOTHER had on HER marriage paperwork as her street address.  Too coincidental to be unrelated.

Does Hugh Hughes seem to be the same person as Owen Hughes? More research to continue.  I need to see if I can find a birth record for Owen in Armagh or more info to merge my Owen to Hugh.  I will continue to use the valuation records.  I have spent a fortune on Scotland's People but love when I find a piece of the puzzle.

Jessie

Hughes
McKenna
Bennett
Lawson
King
Moran
Platt
Farley
Lunney

Offline JessieJessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 00:45 BST (UK) »
i am sad to say that I just discovered that Hugh Hughes, son of John Hughes and Mary McKenna is not the same person as my grandfather, Owen Hughes.  I found the death register for Hugh Hughes 10 Oct 1920 who resided at 10 South Row Summerlee, Coatbridge.  My grandfather Owen remains a brick wall in my research.  I suppose there were two couples named John Hughes and Mary (McKenna) Hughes in the same area! Seems so unlikely.  Oh well.
Hughes
McKenna
Bennett
Lawson
King
Moran
Platt
Farley
Lunney

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 09:14 BST (UK) »
You had worked so hard on this family at Summerlee but not to be. Better to find confirmation now than much later though.

The answers are still in Armagh....

One other thing that keeps the James Hughes as a possible connection  is the name of his father being Owen. Made me think they may perhaps be cousins?

The occupation that Owen gave for his father, a whinstone quarryman, makes me think that father may have left Ireland too? If Owen's mother did die when he was young, possibility that his father remarried?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
I think Owen was in Scotland by the 1911 census.

Boarding at a household in Garngadhill (McClandish family, all born in Scotland), Glasgow area is a 25 year old Owen b. in Ireland. His occupation is showing as an Enameller (I think) at a Bicycle Works. This fits well with later details showing him as a tube worker often connected, amongst other industries, to bicycle works.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk