Author Topic: Mansfield/Sutton in Ashfield  (Read 699 times)

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Mansfield/Sutton in Ashfield
« on: Saturday 05 June 21 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I have a birth of Alfred Sills about 1854 in the Mansfield/Sutton in Ashfield
He is not on the GRO his mother ??  was Lydia Sills /Wheatley her maiden name.
He did call himself George Wheatley at times, not found a on GRO.
Have not found the family  the 1861 census.
Mother Lydia Sills born abt 1814 Pinxton Derbyshire she had 12 children in total
dau Rose Hannah Sills 1850 Mansfield Dec qtr   
dau Ann Wheatley Sills 1848 Mansfield Sept qtr
dau Harriet Sills 1848

The family are living in Sutton in Ashfield 1841/1851 census
1871 Alborn St St Peter Nottm
1875 Alfred married St Peters Nottm. Death 1934 said 80 yrs old

Looking for a Birth or Baptism or the 1861 census for him can anyone please help ???

Thank you Mable.
My DNA match the Wheatley side of the family.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfield/Sutton in Ashfield
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 June 21 15:59 BST (UK) »
Have you a marriage for Alfred that names a father?

Also have you a marriage for Lydia (when and who?)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline willsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 21 16:54 BST (UK) »
Lydia Wheatley married John Sills, 23/01/1831, St Mary Magdalene, Sutton in Ashfield.

There is a burial 23/03/1852, same church, for John Sills aged 43yrs, of Mansfield.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.UK

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Marriage Cert said John Sills father but he died 1852
Me and 1 other cousin have Alfred Sills as Gt Grandfather but we are not a DNA match to the Sllls side of the family, but do match the Wheatley side so think is mother was Lydia Wheatley /Sills

Mable.
Lydia married John Sills 1831

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 June 21 20:49 BST (UK) »
Alfred Sills born c1854 the 'father' named died 2 years before he was born..... so John Sills is not the father, so  Alfred 'Sills' is illegitimate and not part of the 'Sills' family line and so the Sills line are not your ancestors.

That means Lydia is his mother so ancestry research from her ( wheatley ancestors) , unnamed father, you could look for  Bastardy bonds in the poor law records to see if you can find the real father named, otherwise his male line comes to an end with regards to record research

There are several portions of the 1861 census that are 'lost' ...

I wonder if Alfred just assumed he was born in S in A or Mansfield when in reality he was just brought up in one or the other town, in the mid 1850s the two separate towns of S in A and Mansfield would have been far further apart than they are now ...Pinxton is just across the notts border in Derbyshire but very close to S in A ( and another smaller town Kirkby in Ashfield) Sutton in A  is a parish,  in the union of Mansfield.

My daughters birth registration is Mansfield however she was born at Kings Mill which is Sutton in Ashfield ( not Mansfield)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 June 21 21:06 BST (UK) »
It would be good to find the family on the 1861 census to see what the family set-up is.

It's got me stumped at the moment.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 June 21 21:34 BST (UK) »
Some things I notice which may or may not be relevent.....

John Sills was a FWK before he died, Alfred was a Boatman in 1871, which 'might' suggest whoever his father was could have also been a Boatman and that might be the reason you can't find the family on the 1861 census as lydia and children were with him on a boat somewhere....

I also notice one of her daughters married a 'Westhead' and lived in Manchester having children there as Henry Westhead Lydia's  grandson aged 6 was staying/visiting with her in 1871 it might be worth checking to find out who Henry Westhead parents were and if his dad was a boatman or not ( as Alfred took/got a job as a boatman from somewhere)

I would be doing searches on the other siblings to see if I could find them on a 1861 census, you never know if you find one of them, Lydia and/or Alfred could be visiting their household with a poor spelling of their name or written initials only
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Mable

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 June 21 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.

Mable.