Author Topic: Placename in Silkstone/Barnsley area...but where ?  (Read 434 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Placename in Silkstone/Barnsley area...but where ?
« on: Sunday 06 June 21 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm digitally plodding through the parish records of Silkstone (WRY) and have found a couple of entries that might be of use to me. The name of abode given at a couple of baptisms is Pygreve or Pygreave but I can't find this on a map. Google sends me to the Peak District which I don't think is right!

Is it perhaps a building and not a village or hamlet ? And would that be a farming area or mining or what? The time period I am looking at is 1750 - 1800-ish.The surname is Hoyland.

Perhaps someone local has some ideas?
Thanks
Rebel

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Placename in Silkstone/Barnsley area...but where ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 June 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
It's a farm, on the A628 towards Penistone and just beyond Noblethorpe, roughly in the middle of this map:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.54355&lon=-1.57970&layers=168&right=OSAPI
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much for the link, very clever stuff.
i see further west on the map is "Pie Flat" which I presume is just another spelling alternative for "Pye"
It looks pretty rural even now so I expect AgLab is likely to be the order of the day!
Many thanks
Rebel

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 21 14:53 BST (UK) »
I drove past there on my way to work for 15 years until retirement in 2002. The occupation would be something to do with farming. They could have been the farmer or farm workers. It may have had some connection to Noblethorpe Hall.

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 June 21 15:12 BST (UK) »
THankyou for your response!
Sadly, although I feel ancestrally very intimate with the area, it's an area I've never been able to visit at all, even before Covid brought the nation to a halt! When Google Streetview first became available about 10 years back, I had great fun ambling around Barnsley and the like. What a pity, there wasn't Google a hundred years earlier!
Rebel

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 June 21 21:34 BST (UK) »
Barnsley Archives hold many records of the Clarke family of Noblethorpe. The list includes the deeds of Pyegreave farm.