Author Topic: Diary> Sunday 6th June  (Read 2109 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary> Sunday 6th June
« on: Sunday 06 June 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Starting this one early.

Unfortunately, i am really cranky and in full blown 'i hate people mode'.  Probably selfishness as I don't count as a proper person and am sick of everyone having human rights but me.

Had to go into the city, not because I wanted to go gallivanting in a pandemic but because I had to to comply with a court order.  So while I was waiting for my daughter there was a group protesting about  masks and exerting their rights.  They were loud, agressive, yelling at people whom they saw wearing masks or even just with hand gel, shouting abuse at businesses they passed who were complying with covid regulations, grafitting those businesses, getting in people's faces, blowing whistles in their face and trying to pull their masks off and bin them.  Apparently you cannot object as they were only exerting their right to bodily autonomy and to not wear a mask.  I realise I'm considered a selfish ignoramus but surely the right to bodily autonomy would mean that although an individual has a right not to wear something another individual would have equal right to chose to wear it and by forcibly removing it is that not denying themthe right to bodily autonomy?  Why isn't grabbing a stranger and forcibly removing something they're wearing considered assault?  Why isn't shouting abuse and threats at businesses along a street breech of the peace?  Who really decides who's not human enough to have rights because it seems so arbitrary?  I need to make it clear that although I am a bad person all I did was walk along the street, place an order for a takeaway drink at a cafe, pay, say thank you, walk back up the street and sit on a bench at a small park area to wait.  Other than cause offence to proper humans by wearing a mask (legally required) to go into the cafe, and try and give people space as per social distancing guidelines i did not speak to anyone else, I certainly didn't try and berate anyone for not wearing a mask.  When trying to give others space I did not ask anyone else to move, I moved to give them space so I thought I had done my best not to inconvenience anyone and minimise the impact of my presence.  Maybe next time I'll just take some juice from home so I see fewer people so less chance ofcausing offence.

Then when driving home,the traffic started slowing and people put their hazards on.  I then saw a duck with her babies crossing the road and followed suit.  The guy behind me, tailgated me, yelled obsecnities at me, pulled out, and floored it towards the ducks sending all the babies flying  >:(. Didn't even ease off on the accelerator.  I felt sick,luckily I had been weak and the wee one had taken her tablet and was reading and didn't see it.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary> Sunday 6th June
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 June 21 19:34 BST (UK) »
What an absolutely dreadful experience for you. Did anyone call the police? I know that people are allowed to protest peacefully but that seems to have been anything but peaceful. I'm no legal expert but I think that pulling off people's masks would be viewed as assault. You were not in any way responsible for anything that happened so please don't even think that.
As for the thug in the car, that beggars belief. Thank goodness your daughter wasn't aware of what was going on.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 June 21 20:15 BST (UK) »
I can’t understand it at all.Some like myself wearing masks,properly over nose and mouth ,others no mask at all, small shops doing their best re only one customer at a time ,supermarkets full of people all milling about!

All we can do Pharma is our best.
I agree anyone touching another and especially removing protective wear which in the case of masks is for the protection of others not ourselves ,ought to be dealt with.Severely!
Phew, the ducks, aaaaw!
Ducks are such good mothers .
Well time to tidy my kitchen ,vandals have been in (  otherwise  known as Viktoria cooked here!)
A nice cuppa and settle down with a book.
Hope to get better sleep tonight, was muggy and clammy last night.
Look after yourselves,Viktoria.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 June 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
There were police about but they were "just exercising their freedoms" which is why I concluded scum like me don't have the right to freedom of expression by wearing what I want or have the right not to be touched or screamed at by a stranger.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 June 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
What a horrible experience PharmaT.  These people shouldn't be trying to force their views on others so aggressively.  I would say that if someone removes something from someone without consent this is assault.

The other week when I was on my way home from work I noticed that someone had used different coloured chalks on the pavement in front of St Thomas' Church at the Haymarket.  The writing was a rant about it being against their 'human rights' to wear a mask and not to believe the lies, etc.  Obviously a covid denier.  I appreciate that not all people can wear coverings but I think this is not about human rights it is about trying to protect each other.  I hope you can settle after this awful experience Pharma, you have my sympathy.

My diary

Today, I went back to Church for the first time since before lockdown.  I had to book a slot to attend.  A friend from Church had asked me to let her know when I could go so she could try to get the same slot.  Thankfully, we were both able to get the same slot, although we sat spaced out.
Before I went I carried out my covid testing. I am obliged to do this regularly for work purposes.  I accept this is all for a good reason but I do look forward to better times when this might be a thing of the past.  More often than not I end up gagging and it is not something I look forward to.  I don't like having to take time out my day to keep reporting results either.  Some people I know can't wait for the mask wearing to end but I don't mind this at all.  In fact when the weather has been cold I have appreciated the bit of protection from this. It is the testing that that I can't wait for the end to come, even though I appreciate for now it is necessary and helping people keep safe.
I walked to Church and had to sanitise my hands on arrival.  Seating was all spaced out.  We have a new Pastor but he wasn't there as he hasn't officially started yet.  I think there is to be an official ceremony soon.
People in the congregation had to try to keep masks on throughout.  I used to like singing at the top of my lungs but I found I could not do that today.  If I tried to sing loud I felt I was straining my throat.  I think I am probably just out of practise.
My friend offered to give me a lift home in her car but I declined and chose to walk back instead.  No point in distancing in Church and then sitting near someone in a car.  It has felt very good to be able to get back to Church and the walk home in the sunshine was enjoyable.
On the subject of transport a few weeks ago I was unable to get on one bus as all seats got taken.
Then the other week I got on one single decker bus and it moved off and I thought the driver had made a mistake as all seats were taken.  The driver then called out, "Sit down! sit down! all seats have to be taken.".  Someone behind also said to me " You have to sit down".  So feeling a tad confused, I plonked myself down next to another lady.  She told me she had had both jabs, perhaps as a way of reassuring me.  I told her that I have had both jabs too but I thought that people were not meant to sit next to each other.  She pointed out that the bus signs about this have now been removed so it is now probably considered okay.  Well, as soon as I got the first opportunity I moved to a vacant seat.  I felt a a tiny bit bad about this - treating her as if she might have a plague but I don't feel comfortable about sitting next to strangers yet.  She was probably glad I moved too I would imagine.  Thankfully, this hasn't happened since and I have been able to get a seat to myself whilst travelling.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 June 21 22:31 BST (UK) »
I would bet that many people who scream “human rights” have never really thought about that means. I think anyone that has an ounce of common sense realizes that to live together peacefully we have to give up the right to do whatever we want to an extent.  It baffles me that the people protesting about masks likely obey most traffic laws...it’s called safety for everyone.  As for that brute that drove into the ducklings...that makes me sick.  As an animal lover I can’t stomach anyone hurting a helpless creature.
It is extremely hot and humid here, about 39 with humidity.  It has been that way since Thursday.  We have central air conditioning and ceiling fans in bedrooms, which helps. 
I have decided to test my hip and do some weeding, feeling guilty about OH doing the yard work.  I have been out early to beat the heat, by 8:30 or so.  My glute seizes up after awhile, so I quit then, but I do think it’s doing a bit of good, stretching things out.
One of the hydrangeas we put in recently looks very sickly, droopy, etc.  The 4 others look great.  Other things in the back are coming along, and OH gave the front some water this morning, but most of the plants are thriving.  We share an Alberta Rose deciduous, like a tree, with the neighbour, only blooms for a short time, but lovely pink and just started blooming a few days ago. It is native to the Prairies, doesn’t look like it grows in the UK.  Reminds me of mallow.
Saw a small groundhog in the backyard a couple of days ago.  It got away before the dog realized it was there, but he certainly caught its scent as he went straight to the fence where it disappeared.
Just read over a will from an ancestor in Bridlington, 1828.  Hadn’t looked at it in several years. He cautioned one daughter’s husband from “intermeddling”, love that word! Don’t intermeddle, James!
I wonder if it’s a legal term.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 June 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
I totally agree Diana, I can't abide or understand people who hurt animals.  I just hope the ducks  managed to scoot out the way and weren't injured.   :'(

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 June 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
Intermeddling —- whew interfering AND meddling at the same time!
My Dad used to be “ ravished” ,” no you are not,you are ravenous or starved!”
was Mum’s reply .

It strikes me that some people who rant about human rights ,have no tolerance for any views but their own rather  warped ones !
The fact they can do what they did and not be arrested is mind boggling!
I might start doing things like that, if something offends my sensibilities!
Jeans with the knees out !Like poverty stricken urchins.
To pay for holes  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D!
Droopy on purpose cardigans that look like they have been badly pegged on  the washing line .
Is it straightforward lack of intelligence that spurs those people on ?
Surely it is a mob when things like that happen ,I would have thought there were laws for that.
I don’t suppose the mad driver realised there were ducks ahead but there could have been worse ,like a thumping great monster truck!
Mmmmm?
Wonder what has upset the hydrangea ? Is there something burrowing under it?
More good weather forecast for tomorrow.
Will finish tidying the garden.
Then the house needs attention.
That is not urgent,can wait until it is raining.
Goodnight everyone ( Children everywhere,who remembers that?)
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 June 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear you were able to go to church RTL, it must seem strange having to book a slot but obviously rewarding. Perhaps you could try singing in the bath or the shower to get some practice in!
I understand what you mean about the testing, it must be unpleasant having to do them so often. I sent for some of the lateral flow tests, have only used two but it's not a nice experience so you have my sympathy.

Diana, I read something in a gardening magazine about hydrangeas, it said that they need a lot of water, hence the name containing 'hydra'. I hadn't even thought of that but it does make sense. Is the droopy one in a sunnier position where it might dry out more easily? Good to hear that the gardening is doing your hip some good.

My day:

A reverse of Saturday weatherwise, it was cloudy until later in the afternoon. I had a parcel to return so about midday I walked along to the petrol station to send it. I wore a long sleeved t-shirt as the forecast said 16° but it felt much warmer than that, I rolled up my sleeves but still felt hot. A number of joggers out and cyclists who always seem to ride on the footpath. Returned through the woods, cool and so green.

It was still cloudy after lunch so I spent some time working on my picture, am quite pleased with it. Afterwards I did some gardening, the sun came out so I changed into shorts and a vest top. I seem to spend so much time changing my clothes to keep up with the weather. Had a short spell reading before it clouded over again. The perennials in my garden seem to have grown all of a sudden, they're covering the messy dying leaves of the spring bulbs. My lettuce is growing well, I read recently that it should be grown in a shadier area as it will bolt in full sun. Mine is in a pot so that was easy to sort out.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales