Author Topic: Trying to identify RAF unit and bases in Malaysia 1947 - 1948  (Read 459 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Trying to identify RAF unit and bases in Malaysia 1947 - 1948
« on: Sunday 06 June 21 23:45 BST (UK) »
I received a few pictures of my father from the time he served with the RAF in Malaysia, and would like to find out which unit he possibly served with and at which bases he was stationed. Some pictures had writing on them, in chronological order:

"beach at Ft Auchry, June 1947"
"Prai, April 1948"
"Taiping, April 1948"

For whatever reason I have the feeling he didn't serve very long, but I would like to know some more about the time he was in, so any help is welcome. If it helps I can post the pictures; he passed away nearly 10 years ago.

TD
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to identify RAF unit and bases in Malaysia 1947 - 1948
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 21 14:04 BST (UK) »
RAF service records after 1939 are not available online.  You would need to purchase a copy of your father's service record to find his details:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-air-force-personnel/
gives guidance.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information.

Thirty pounds, sixty if I would like to have my granddad's records as well.. that's steep  :o
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 June 21 23:04 BST (UK) »
This may help a little, I dont know a lot about the RAF but Fort Auchry is now a Malaysian army base near Batu Ferringhi, and had access to a beach area.

Theres an old comrades association (or was) only formed in the 90`s so  still going? RAF Butterworth & Penang Association theres news letters and contact details here :-

http://www.raf-butterworth-penang-association.org.uk/

They may be able to identify your photographs?

Best Wishes

Jim

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 08:36 BST (UK) »
Oh nice!

Thank you for that, this is definitely a big help ;)

TD