Author Topic: Possible adoption  (Read 2097 times)

Offline MMacKG43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible adoption
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 14:37 BST (UK) »
Aunties surname was used on the 1942 birth certificate, with the adoptive christian name and surname ahead of it, e.g. John Smith Goodall, to become John Smith on adoption.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
Fascinating story i wonder if some of the birth mothers were paid to be the equivalent of modern surrogate mothers.

While the ladies at Monteith road may have been making money they also ensured children could be adopted at a time when some couples did not want children who were " conceived in Sin .
I researched a similar story from 1904 there was a big difference between baby trafficking ( 1 woman was hanged for this  and neglect) and baby placing .
Finding good homes .the babies were handed over early so adopting couples could register child as their own ..which would confound purists who believe birth certificate PROVES parentage even when DNA shows otherwise

If your husband or his cousins have taken a DNA test a match to the second adoptee may turn up.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline MMacKG43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information.   I am certain auntie would not have been paid since it appears that during the first pregnancy, after she returned from "being sent away, her unmarried sister had to move in for a few months to help with household costs.   Mary had obviously had to take unpaid leave.
Sadly both my husband and his last surviving cousin are dead and the "discovered" son of Mary - born at no 18 in October 1942, does not want to go any further and lives abroad, so no DNA at the moment.
Reading about the possible prosecution of ladies who ran No 18, which mentioned a supposed "nursing home" they ran where the babies were born, reminded me of something.   When I was very little, my paternal grandparents lived along the road in Greenhead Street and my cousins and I used to plat in the Green with strict instructions not to go up the road because there was a nursing home there.   How I wish someone of that generation was still around.
Thank you for replying and I hope to find answers eventually.   M

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 19:15 BST (UK) »
Reading through some of the newspapear stories. There were numerous charges that the women had to pay Nurse Rice to cover their confinement, adoption fees and incidentals. One of the witnesses in the court case from 1939 quoted owing Nurse Rice and daughter around £26. That amount in today's money according to the Bank of England is approx £1,145.

They were found guilty and fined in 1939...but simply look to have carried on with the adoption business into at least the next decade. Can't see any adverts for them from the 1950s.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MG1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 May 23 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, Think I may be the person you looking for. I have my original birth certificate and was born in 1946 at 18 Monteith Row. Also states mothers usual residence is Arduthie Road. Her occupation was Post Office Clerk and her middle name Waddell.
My birth name was Maureen. Hope this helps.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 May 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi MG1946

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

MMacKG43 has not been back online on RC since August 2021. If they haven't changed their email since then, they will get notification of your post here.

Once you do one more post here on the main boards, you will be able to use the Private Messages service (PMs).

Good luck with it all  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MG1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 May 23 21:33 BST (UK) »

Hi Monica,

Thank you for that.

MG1946