Author Topic: Moving Argyll to Perthshire 1820s/30s  (Read 777 times)

Offline LMChapman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moving Argyll to Perthshire 1820s/30s
« on: Monday 07 June 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking into a man called James Mitchell who married Christian McNaughton in Comrie, Perthshire in 1834. The couple went on to have 6 children and, I believe, later moved to Ireland. The 1851 census records him as being born in Argyllshire. I so far have not been able to definitively trace his birth and parents. Aside from that however, does anyone have any theories about why someone might have moved from Argyll to Perthshire around the 1820s/early 1830s?? My only thought was that he was joining other family, but I can't find other Mitchells with an Argyll connection in Comrie on the census... I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Murray, McKelvie, Smith, Morrison, Latta, McClelland, Manson, Ingram, Cowan

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Argyll to Perthshire 1820s/30s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 June 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
I realise you know most of the following but it might help others.
Movement of people in the past was in my opinion quite common, for example, one in my tree was a forester in West Lothian, his family moved to Kettering in Northamptonshire for a few years before moving back to Scotland. He had moved to land in England belonging to the same family that he worked for in Scotland.

JAMES MITCHEL   Married    CHRISTIAN MCNAUGHTAN   10/06/1834   Comrie

JAMES MITCHEL/CHIRSTY or CHRISTIAN MCNAUGHTON

JOHN 24/09/1834, ANN 18/04/1836, WILLIAM 17/06/1838, JANET 1/11/1840
No record on SP for last two children. However Sarah is on family search but states father as John, this is the same on SP?

1851 MITCHELL family Main Street, Comrie
James   Head   43   Shepherd   ARL   -
Christian   Wife   40      PER   Monzievaird
Janet   Dau   9   Scholar   PER   Comrie
Sarah   Dau   7   Scholar   PER   Comrie
Alexr   Son   5   Scholar   PER   Comrie

Based on the names of the above children, this may be a possible record for James but there are others.

JAMES MITCHELL Parents    JOHN MITCHELL/JANET LANGWILL    17/10/1809   Campbeltown

JOHN MITCHELL   Married    JANET LANGWILL   04/01/1800   Campbeltown

Six children born there 1802 – 1814. Of the four boys James is the only one not in Campbeltown in 1841. Parents are not listed on 1841 and although deaths were recorded there no Mitchell’s are noted.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline LMChapman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Argyll to Perthshire 1820s/30s
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 June 21 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all this. I like your note that landowners often had estates in more than one place, which may explain a workers' movement.
I do believe John Mitchell and Janet Langwill are his parents, but cannot prove it absolutely as yet.
Murray, McKelvie, Smith, Morrison, Latta, McClelland, Manson, Ingram, Cowan