Author Topic: Hannah Robson 1804-1874  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Robson 1804-1874
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 June 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
When couples were married after  Banns being read, then their local communities had the opportunity, to object if they were aware of any lawful reason the marriage should not take place. e.g. one of the parties were already married, they were too closely related for the marriage to be legal.

Marriage by Licence could take place the same day, so one of the parties (usually the Groom) and  they and a friend/ relation/employer whatever had to swear that there was no such reason that the marriage could take place.
They didn't have to pay the £200 at the time but IF, at a later date, someone came forward to say it shouldn't then they 'could' be liable to pay (or presumably be imprisoned if they couldn't pay?)

This Family Search article explains it and suggests that by the end of the 19th century the cost of a licence , including tax was £2-£3 - so maybe slightly cheaper when these two licences were issued.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Marriage_Allegations,_Bonds_and_Licences_in_England_and_Wales

I have never yet come across a case where this happened - though someone else may have.

EDIT

Apologies, I assumed you were familiar with these licence records and didn't mention there are two pages to each one (a Licence and an Allegation/Bond) for these records. For both the links I gave, you need to also view the previous page (or next one, can't remember offhand)

Boo

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 June 21 05:47 BST (UK) »
Very good - thanks.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 June 21 21:27 BST (UK) »
To widen my dna pool matches with the Blackett/Bell families of Durham; can anyone help with finding what happened to Thomas MILLER and Mary BELL. They were married on 3 June 1776 at St Cuthberts, Darlington.  Both single and of that parish. Only one child is recorded in the St Cuthbert Register from the union - Margaret MILLER bap. 10 August 177.  Cannot find any othe children and unsure of Thomas' occupation.