Author Topic: Hannah Robson 1804-1874  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Robson 1804-1874
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Westee

According to a free search on Durham Records Online there is another baptism which looks likely to be a sibling of the Luke that Janis gave you the details for
Lamesley St. Andrew Ann Blackett baptised 1766, of Southrines Shop

Sadly the BTs for either 1772 or 1766 do not seem to have survived - or at least they aren't in the Family Search images so can't give you a link to an image.

The Lamesley page on Genuki
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DUR/Lamesley
has transcribed lists of baptisms and that gives
Blackett, Ann ch. of Ralph, baptised 28 April 1776

So between the two they give you an abode, a date and a father's name - sometimes you have to get info baby step by baby step :-)

and Free Reg has a 'possible' marriage for their Dad, Ralph
Whickham, St Mary The Virgin 3 Dec 1763
Ralph Blackett, parish of Lamesley and Elizabeth Drydon, witnesses John Dods and John Spragon

Durham Records Online (free to search but ppv or a sub to see the details), Free Reg and Genuki are all good places to look if you are stuck after checking Family Search and the main subscription sites.

Boo

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
Confirmed then. Tks so much.   
I have a Ralph Blackett marrying an Elisabeth Morgan in 16th Dec. 1772 (Gateshead) - but that is 6 months after Luke was baptised.  So wondering if Ralph had a previous wife? 

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo

So a possible first marriage to an Elisabeth Drydon as Ann Blackett born 1766.  As you say, step by step.  :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
Confirmed then. Tks so much.   
I have a Ralph Blackett marrying an Elisabeth Morgan in 16th Dec. 1772 (Gateshead) - but that is 6 months after Luke was baptised.  So wondering if Ralph had a previous wife?

What is your source for that marriage? I've looked at all the usual places and the only marriage I can find (though may well have missed something) for a couple with those names was on 16 December 1792 at Gateshead St Mary

image from BT:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XCQ9-52K?

Boo

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 11:35 BST (UK) »
OMGoodness - just checked.  Must have read it wrong. Had to wink it out, as I've just checked and it is 1792.  I will really have to be more careful.  Unusual for me as I am usually very very careful.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 11:41 BST (UK) »
OMGoodness - just checked.  Must have read it wrong. Had to wink it out, as I've just checked and it is 1792.  I will really have to be more careful.  Unusual for me as I am usually very very careful.

:-) We all do it at one time or another.

So that 1763 marriage at Whickham is still in the 'possible' category, based on time frame and the groom's abode?

Boo

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 June 21 01:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, the 1763 marriage is certainly a strong possibility; and after looking at the link you sent me I've found 5 more children to this marriage; starting with Ralph, Margaret, Elisabeth, Peter and another Ralph.   (Ann being the other sister born 1776) and then Luke, the other brother,  born 1772 was a "tailor"; so too his son Luke born 1816 a "tailor".   Charming find.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 June 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
This baptism looks to be a 'possible' first child just over 12 months after that marriage (though in Whickham where they married rather than in Lamesley)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N5D7-MQH

I looked at the transcript on Durham Records Online and the only other info in the register was an abode of Fellside.

I'd shove it in the possibles box anyway, in case anything else turns up that may link this in to the famiy.

and when I typed that  I had a thought ..

This 'may' lend a little more weight and again is worth putting in the 'possibles'

A Stephen Blackett married Margaret Hull at Lamesley St Andrew on 24 July 1806, by Licence
Licence on Family Search
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6S83-HT2?
which says he was '35 years and upwards' (so in a reasonable ball park to have been baptised in 1864, I'm never sure what span the 'upwards covered) and a Luke Blackett, taylor, of the parish Gateshead -so 'possiby' your Luke - if it is then that's his signature at the bottom :-)

and the transcript from the Parish Register (Durham Records Online) says the witnesses for this marriage were Peter Blackett (another possible brother) and Eleanor Stevenson.

All a bit smoke and mirrors as it usually is this far back where info on records is sparse. Its maybe worth exploring later records for the other names you found as possible children to see if they have similar tentative connections ?

ADDED. (now up to 2 thoughts I've had today - which is about my limit for any one 24 hour period lol)

Your Luke also married by Licence (1802 to Margaret Walker) and this is 'his' Licence

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6W37-F8D?

I 'think' I can see a similarity in the Luke Blackett signatures on this and Stephen's licence but would advise snipping them both out and asking on the  handwriting board where folk who are good at this sort of thing can offer an opinion.

Boo

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 June 21 21:29 BST (UK) »
Lots of good detail you've given. Luke's signature has a return on the 't' in both instances; so looking more than likely it is him.   Always good to have a signature to confirm details.  I read the conditions of marriage and note it cost £200.0.0 for this.  Am I right?  If so - more expensive than today.  He must have been making good money as a tailor/taylor at the time.  I'm surprised by the cost of this licence. 

Enjoyed waking up to this added information.  Will continue with this tonight as about to leave home for the day.  Workmen outside cutting electricity off for maintenance. Whole street being upgraded.