Author Topic: Jane Appleton,convict, sentenced to 7 years transportation at Reading in 1801.  (Read 1224 times)

Offline janesway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am researching Jane Appleton, who was convicted on Jan 18th, 1801 at the quarter sessions for the Borough of Reading. She was transported for 7 years for stealing a pair of sheets, the property of Mr. Harris.
I have plenty of information about Jane once she is in the convict system and in New South Wales, where she was sent, aged 20.  However, I have no information about her prior life or her family.
In the transcription of the Reading Mercury for the first quarter of 1801, another girl Mary Pemberton is also convicted of stealing meat from Mr. Harris.  I surmised that Mr. Harris was the owner of a large house with servants or an innkeeper.  In the same paper an advertisement from William Harris, the White Hart in Newbury, appears, and I wonder if perhaps they worked for him? 
"Mar 9th 1801 page 1
White Hart in Newbury, William Harris, impressed with a due sense of the many favours received from the gentlemen travellers and the public in general, feels it his duty to return his sincere thanks for the same and respectfully begs to assure them that the greatest attention will be paid to their commands and humbly solicits their future favours, good beds provided and best wines, spiritous liquors etc. Stabling and horses carefully attended to."

I would love to hear from anyone who could shine a light on Jane Appleton's early years or the Inn in which she may possibly have worked.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Appleton,convict, sentenced to 7 years transportation at Reading in 1801.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
another girl Mary Pemberton is also convicted of stealing meat from Mr. Harris.

According to the Reading Mercury of 19 January 1801, Mary Pemberton had stolen meat from a Mr Hiscock.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Appleton,convict, sentenced to 7 years transportation at Reading in 1801.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 11:04 BST (UK) »
I see from the 1801 convict registers that Jane Appleton was also known as Mary Way.

Offline janesway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hello ShaunJ, thank you for your interesting replies to my message.  I am new to Rootschat, and just wrote a long reply which I seem to have lost when attempting verification!  So I will give it another go.  I am interested that you say that Mary Pemberton stole meat from Mr. Hiscock.  In the transcription from the Berkshire Family History Society which I attach, it says Jan 19th, 1801 page 3 Mary Pemberton for stealing meat from Mr. Harris was sentenced to be imprisoned for one month.
Now I'm not so sure!
You are right that Jane's alias was Mary Way. You may guess from my username that Way is a family name.  Interesting choice of aliases and not a common name.  It wasn't until her grandaughter married Harmsworth Way in Sydney in 1872 (I think) that there was any connection.
Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments and I will need to look further. 

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 July 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
Here are two links for pictures of the White Hart Newbury:

White Hart Newbury in 1903:

https://pubwiki.co.uk/Berkshire/Newbury/WhiteHart.shtml

White Hart Newbury modern day:

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/berkshire/newbury_whitehart.html

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 July 21 14:59 BST (UK) »
I am interested that you say that Mary Pemberton stole meat from Mr. Hiscock.  In the transcription from the Berkshire Family History Society which I attach, it says Jan 19th, 1801 page 3 Mary Pemberton for stealing meat from Mr. Harris was sentenced to be imprisoned for one month.

The transcription by Berkshire FHS is incorrect.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000367%2f18010119%2f007&stringtohighlight=pemberton

Offline janesway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 July 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you candrjm for the links to the White Hart.  It looks an interesting building.  It is of course, only a long shot that Jane may have worked there, but nevertheless it is good to see what it looked like. 

Offline janesway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 July 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ thank you for the link to the Reading Mercury on Findmypast.  Luckily I had a few credit points on there so was able to download that page.  You are quite right about it being Hiscock! I suppose my theory of Jane working at the White Hart is still feasible but I would certainly need to investigate a lot further.  This shows you need to check your sources and go back to the original where possible.  Thanks again.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 July 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Indeed. Never trust a transcription!