Author Topic: Musgrove Strange  (Read 493 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Musgrove Strange
« on: Tuesday 08 June 21 10:27 BST (UK) »
According to newspapers in the British Newspaper Archive from the early 1930s and earlier, Musgrove Strange was a theatre actor and playwright, and the son of C. H. Strange of Tunbridge Wells.
I assume this was Charles Hilbreth Strange, 1867-1952 who had two sons - William who died in WW1, and Edward Musgrove Strange. 1898-1976. but acccording to a 1932 passenger manifesto he was a schoolmaster who I

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Musgrove Strange
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
I've done it again, my hand co-ordination has been somewhat messed up by the strokes I had last year.
Anyway, I was going to add a 1940 newspaper article says he was then home from America where he was living. I cannot see him being the theatrical Musgrove Strange who according to one report was on the stage by the mid 1910s when he would have been a teenager. though not impossible. I wish you could search censuses on Ancestry by initials as I cannot see another C. H. Strange living Tonbridge Wells in the 20th century with a son with the name Musgrove, if that was a birth name.
I don't suppose anyone has a 1930s "Who's who on the stage' which might list him ? Or any idea about tracing Musgrove Strange.

John

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 10:51 BST (UK) »
Does ANY musgrove strange appear for any event(s) in the GRO indexes?

and yoiu can search ancestry by initial(s).  Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 10:55 BST (UK) »
Lives of WW1 website suggests it was the same person
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/story/42398
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 08:50 BST (UK) »
There is mention of Musgrove Strange in The Stage dated 21st July 1932.  He has apparently written a play called Action and he also appeared in it as the character Colonel Jennings.

This was from Find My Past.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 09:14 BST (UK) »
There are three passenger records for Musgrove Strange born 1898 travelling to New York in 1954, 1958 and 1959.

All three state that he is a teacher, two give a birth date of 2.2.98 and two give an address of 20 Cockspur Street, London and the 1954 one gives an address of 26 Wear Bay Road, Folkestone, Kent.

The 1932 passenger record has him as Edward Musgrove Strange of 20 Dudley Road, Tunbridge Wells, aged 34 and a schoolmaster.

Perhaps the acting side was in addition to being a teacher and he dropped the Edward for actitng purposes.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 June 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
www.familysearch.org has a bunch of New York passenger lists for Edward Musgrove Strange, going back as far as 1923.  Some refer to him as a schoolmaster and some as a civil engineer.  Perhaps he was prone to career changes?  Some of the 2nd pages refer to him going to cousins in Pennsylvania.

www.fultonhistory.com is a free newspaper site, and there are some mentions of Musgrove Strange or E. Musgrove Strange in New York and Connecticut papers from the 1950's.  Most of the mentions are in reference to theater groups or working as a stage manager.

The New York Times archives has some mentions of E. Musgrove Strange involved in theater groups and two letters written to the editor by him regarding the theatrical performances.

There's a mention of Edward here - https://www.stbernards.org/news-no-photos?pk=1065294 

He's mentioned on the front cover of this program - https://archives.nyphil.org/index.php/artifact/b70a28e7-cb23-430d-9842-b46c12254486-0.1/fullview#page/1/mode/2up