Author Topic: Can I find what happened to convict James Smith?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can I find what happened to convict James Smith?
« on: Tuesday 08 June 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
I’d like to know more if possible of James Smith, who was sentenced to 7 years transportation at the 1817 Lent Assizes in Leicester for stealing  geese and rabbits. The conviction is in the local newspaper and is also recorded in HO27 but I can’t find a record of him in Australia, though the individual in the preceding register entry certainly did arrive there.
(Incidentally, 23 individuals were sentenced to death just at this assizes, some for offences no worse, it would seem, than that of James Smith, so I suppose he was fortunate in a way.)

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find what happened to convict James Smith?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Please share Some info about your James.... as it can be very useful when searching Convict Indexes held in the various states that are Australia .... any clues help,  particularly if you have details for any of the following (plenty of James SMITH chaps in both New South Wales and Van Diemens Land in the l810s and 1820s)

:) when and where was he born
 :) married or single when sentenced, if married, any children.....
 :) occupation/trade
 :) any previous convictions
 :)  his parents names
 :) what religious denomination

Don't panic if you don't have answers to all that list,  but please do share what you already know.

There is a board for Australia at RChat,  lots of regulars ready to help you there.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
Maybe he absconded before transportation
With a surname like SMITH he.ll be hard to find .

Im from Leicester myself .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 23:20 BST (UK) »
The Hulk Registers have a James SMITH tried at Leicester 25 March 1817.  He was given a free pardon on 10 Nov 1819.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 00:03 BST (UK) »
Well sorted Dundee.   :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 08:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help. James Smith, as far as I know, was no relation of mine. He stole livestock from one of my farming ancestors, but I like to fill in the social context, so I now know that I don’t have to go looking “down under”. I know absolutely nothing about his background yet, but having ancestors of my own who also spent time in the hulks, I find it interesting.

The whole business of who actually went to Australia, who only went to a hulk in English waters, and who entered hastily into the next world via a public spectacle, seems to have been something of a lottery in the “good old days”.

ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 08:45 BST (UK) »
The Hulk Registers have a James SMITH tried at Leicester 25 March 1817.  He was given a free pardon on 10 Nov 1819.

Thank you. I have found the register entry of his conviction at Leicester Assizes in 1817 and the HO13 record of his free pardon in 1819 (using FindMyPast) but I can’t seem find any other record on that website which might give me a clue to his home town/village or age etc. Is there a record of him on a named hulk?

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 11:16 BST (UK) »
Wonder where he actually was when pardoned.
Why hadnt he already been transported so long after ?
Did he spend a year fighting the conviction .?
More questions than answers !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 12:54 BST (UK) »
He was on the Leviathan hulk at Portsmouth.  There were quite a few prisoners on the hulk that were given free pardons many years after trial.  I think that Findmypast has some indexes of petitions for mitigation of sentences.