Author Topic: Can I find what happened to convict James Smith?  (Read 590 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find what happened to convict James Smith?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
He was on the Leviathan hulk at Portsmouth.  There were quite a few prisoners on the hulk that were given free pardons many years after trial.  I think that Findmypast has some indexes of petitions for mitigation of sentences.

Debra  :)

This might be worth a read https://www.ourfamilypast.com/article/topic/7397/haa007-breakout-2-prison-hulks-and-leviathan and there are some resourse websites at the end which may give you more information
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find what happened to convict James Smith?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 June 21 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, this is very interesting. My own criminal ancestor and his brother were sentenced to transportation in the 1840’s and spent time on the same “Leviathan” at Portsmouth as James Smith. They were never transported, but it seems that this was quite common by this time. They also were pardoned and released early, but certainly they served more of their sentences than James Smith appears to have done. I’ll follow the leads and see if I can find why he was released so soon.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight