Author Topic: If there's a will is there a way?  (Read 989 times)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: If there's a will is there a way?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
I'm currently awaiting the PDF of her death certificate to make sure I've got the correct Hannah Williams. The correct Hannah's baptism was 13 Nov 1831 in Prittlewell, Essex. I don't know her exact DOB but estimate she was around 68 in March 1899. She was definitely living in Canning Town in 1981 but could have moved at any point in the intervening years.
Her twin daughters were married by this date:

Hannah Mary Williams married a Bradshaw. Hannah (Norah) was still living in Canning Town in 1897 when her youngest son was born.
Mary Williams married a Harrington. Mary was definitely living in Canning Town in 1898 as she gave birth to my grandmother there.

If I have the correct death certificate I'm hoping that one of her daughters will be the one who reported the death. Hannah had been a widow since 1871 so I'm wondering if the death certificate will state "widow of John Williams"

I did a little research on the missionary and although I couldn't find out much detail, I think he was possibly a Wesleyan. Hannah Williams wasn't baptised as a catholic a a child but later married one and had both her daughters baptised as Catholics. If the probate is the correct Hannah Williams I'd be very interested to know how she came to meet David Thomas.

I can't find a will for her and wonder if she died Intestate - hence the (possible) requirement of two executors for her estate.

The sum of money she left was a sizable amount for a poor widow in 1899. I know she had been a dressmaker from various Census returns but I'd be surprised if she made any serious money at it. Who knows though? It might be that I've completely misunderstood her personal circumstances and will perhaps need to re-evaluate how I view her. Neither of her daughters were comfortably off after her death.
In 2017, £1745 is worth approximately:
£136,410.49

And I still have to locate Susannah Williams
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
The will could have been written after her husband died but before her daughters married so susannah Williams could in fact be the daughter otherwise known as mary hannah Williams
Just a thought

I saw my grandfather s will yesterday hed written it 20 years before his death never changed it ..left everything to his wife and if she predeceased him to his two children ..named then added the sentence.share and share alike !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 21:41 BST (UK) »
I think this may be the Hannah Williams who left a will. The 1891 census has the surname transcribed as William but earlier censuses show the surname as Williams. Note the address.

The 1901 census appears to have Susannah Williams, still single,  with her sister Mary and brother in law John Hay.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLMJ-ZMM

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9NG-WKN

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 June 21 19:55 BST (UK) »
I think this may be the Hannah Williams who left a will. The 1891 census has the surname transcribed as William but earlier censuses show the surname as Williams. Note the address.

The 1901 census appears to have Susannah Williams, still single,  with her sister Mary and brother in law John Hay.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLMJ-ZMM

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9NG-WKN

William

William
You are absolutely correct. This is the Susannah Williams and Hannah Williams that are on the probate record.

Unfortunately, when the death certificate turned up it wasn't for "my" Hannah Williams. It was however, the widow of one James Williams.

I still haven't identified the correct death certificate for my Hannah Williams.

I know she was living with her daughter and son-in-law (transcribed s Bradtham" rather then Bradshaw) in 1891 in Canning Town.

She may possibly be on the Westminster Catholic census of 1893. There is a Hannah Williams (with no age is given as she was above 21) living at 42 Bridge Road, Grays, Essex. No occupation, a widow, from a "mixed marriage" (Hannah wasn't baptised a Catholic but she was married to a catholic and her daughters were baptised as Catholics). This Hannah Williams was rather sadly described as Bedridden and there is no one else living at number 42.

I can't find any record of her on the 1901 census so I think it's probable that died before then. So I will look for a death certificate either in the Grays/Orsett registration area or possibly Canning Town for a death between 1891 and 1901.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire